Question: Need help with OTA reception

chemidas

DTVUSA Rookie
I am looking to install an antenna for OTA TV. I can go either attic install or mount on to the roof. Either would not be a problem. Coax cable is already run to either location, and I'm going to just one TV that already has a tuner.

What I need help with is choosing the antenna. According to antennaweb.org, I need a blue UHF (medium directional with pre amp).

The got the following results from tvfool.com

I'm most interested in the channels coming from the south, but since there are a bunch of yellow nearly 180 degrees to the north, getting both would be great if possible from the same antenna.

I'm pretty handy, so I would even consider installing a DIY, but I'm perfectly willing to shell out what is needed for an antenna that will work best for these conditions.

Your help will be appreciated!!!

I also forgot to mention there are tall trees all around the house. I doubt I would get direct line of site to any of the translators even from the roof.

Last edited:

n2rj

Staff member
Hi chemidas, welcome to the forum!

MrPogi would be able to help you here as he is also familiar with Utah's situation with respect to translators.

But it looks like you will need just a simple VHF/UHF outdoor antenna (roof mounted preferably) and a rotor if you are interested in both directions. Or you could try two antennas and a combiner if you need opposite directions available on multiple sets. I doubt you'll be able to do it all with just one antenna, especially since they are in opposite directions.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Let's see I'd think a homemade gray-hoverman without a reflector would work great to pull in channels from both directions. I'm guessing they are mostly repeats.

DIY TV Antennas - Gray-Hoverman (SBGH)

If they are repeats of the same channels a RadioShack U-75R pointed toward the strongest signals would also be a good choice. For one TV I don't think you'll need a preamp. Antennaweb is overly conservative.

(Note: I think that RadioShack is having trouble keeping antennas in stock through their website and are only displaying the antennas that are in stock at the moment.)

If you want to get Channel 8 (AKA America 1) I'd use a UVSJ (UHF VHF Splitter Joiner) to add a small high VHF antenna pointed to the west.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Okay, Chemidas... You're in my backyard.

I'm in Nibley, and you can definitely get all those channels. I do, using either a Radio Shack U75-r or one of my home made 4-bays. I point to Franklin, and get the stronger Cache Valley signals from the back side of the antennas. The key here is that the 2 towers are almost exactly 180 degrees apart, so you can use just one good antenna.

You' gain 3, 10, and 11 from the north (Franklin), and 7 and 9 from the South (Cache / Mt. Pisgah). All the rest are duplicates, except for 8, which is America 1 and Telemundo. I have no problem getting channel 8 with either antenna because it's so strong. And channel 26 - the Valley Channel - is a channel everyone can get, but nobody wants!

The U75-r shows as "in stock" at the local shack, and in Ogden and Tremonton - but call - I can never believe their website! The home made I use is similar to Escape Velocity's 4-bay "Kosmic Super Quad" design, I can build one for you or you can build it yourself.

Visit my blog at the link below, or PM me.

Last edited:

Free DTV ota

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Did you get any feedback?

I am looking to install an antenna for OTA TV. I can go either attic install or mount on to the roof. Either would not be a problem. Coax cable is already run to either location, and I'm going to just one TV that already has a tuner.

What I need help with is choosing the antenna. According to antennaweb.org, I need a blue UHF (medium directional with pre amp).

The got the following results from tvfool.com

I'm most interested in the channels coming from the south, but since there are a bunch of yellow nearly 180 degrees to the north, getting both would be great if possible from the same antenna.

I'm pretty handy, so I would even consider installing a DIY, but I'm perfectly willing to shell out what is needed for an antenna that will work best for these conditions.

Your help will be appreciated!!!

I also forgot to mention there are tall trees all around the house. I doubt I would get direct line of site to any of the translators even from the roof.
I'll be happy to assist you, if someone else hasn't already. I get it and get it good. So let me know. Can I recommend another helpful forum? It's called www.city-data.com/freedtvforum or something similar. It's real easy once you know a few basic things. Yours truly, Suzan (suzanrush@yahoo.com)

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Let's see I'd think a homemade gray-hoverman without a reflector would work great to pull in channels from both directions.

DIY TV Antennas - Gray-Hoverman (SBGH)
What dkreichen said, or you could buy one from Summit Source. Just google "G1483 Summit Source." Those come in 4-bay, 8-bay, and 16-bay versions and they have director elements that can fold down so you can receive channels from opposite directions.

BTW, the 16-bay would probably be overkill for your situation.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
As I said in my first response - I live here, and I use 4 bays or U-75r antennas here to get both sets of translators, and channel 8 KUTA/Telemundo as well.

No rotors needed if the location of the antenna places the translators about 180 degrees apart - that's pretty much 80-90 % of the homes in the valley. 8 is the only wild card, since it's in a different location from the translators.
BTW, the OP has not returned in over 10 days.

And no, Suzan Rush, your magic antenna won't work here.