Question: Need help with reception on my new antenna

ART1978

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I posted this earlier as a guest but I went ahead and registered and posting again.

Last week when we were on vacation apparently my antenna got zapped by lightning. I had a Lava HD 8008 that I've used for 2 years. The lava was cheaply made but it worked good most of the time. I live in a rural area between Augusta, GA and Macon, GA.. With the Lava I received ABC(6-1), CBS(12-1), NBC(26-1), CW(26-2), and PBS(20-1) all from Augusta and FOX(24-1) another ABC(24-2) and another PBS(29-1) from Macon.

I have replaced the Lava with a directional Xtreme signal HBD91X that I aimed at 66 degrees toward Augusta to get all the major networks from that market. we live slightly closer to Augusta and frequent that area much more than Macon.

On tuesday I hooked up the new antenna and I only received 6-1, 26-1(very strong signals), and 20-1(3 out of 4 bars). And later I picked up 29-1 from Macon on the back side of the antenna.

I read a review of the antenna I bought and the guy said he added an Eagle Aspen 25dB 50026 amp and he picked up everything he needed. So I bought one and added it yesterday(Friday) and all it did was strengthen the lower signal PBS stations.

Here's the weird part. Late at night or early in the morning I'm getting 2 stations out of Columbia , SC 135 miles away and CBS 13-1 on the back side of the antenna and that's without the amp.

Help! I'm confused. Did I buy a peice of junk and an amp I don't need? I have attached the the TV Fool report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e2cbb7e2dcda5c

First I don't think you bought a piece of junk antenna. I do not think the HBD91X is a piece of junk. I do think it is the wrong antenna for your location. I really do not care what the Solid Signal marketing department says. It is a UHF antenna, and is a poor choice for your location. It also has a known balun connection failure problem if you are not careful with the fragile connector. Being that it is a UHF antenna what VHF gain it has may not be in the same direction as it's UHF gain.

ART1978

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for your reply Steve. I was hoping to get everything I needed from one antenna and the HDB91X was advertised as VHF/UHF. Is there an antenna that reach all the stations I need or should I attach a small VHF and combine them?

ART1978

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks Mr. Pogi, I think I will try that. From what I understand on the combiner I can switch the pass switch on and the amp will work on both VHF and UHF. Is that correct?

ART1978

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks Mr. Pogi, you have been very helpful. The VHF-hi and the combiner are on the way. What antenna would you recommend that would do this instead of combining two?

It's difficult to get an antenna that picks up both UHF and VHF well. Usually, they have to be larger antennas with both longer and shorter elements. Some Yagi-style antennas work for both VHF and UHF, depending on the signal strength and clarity. The HDB91X doesn't have the long elements necessary for VHF, especially RF channels 6 and 7. With those RF stations nearby, a true VHF-ready antenna really is required.

There are a lot of companies building antennas that claim to be "VHF" but really most of them are UHF antennas and any VHF reception is either chance, or designed for picking up VHF-hi. Most stations have moved off VHF-lo, but even then signals from VHF-hi aren't as easily picked up on a UHF-specific design.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Art,

Which low-band VHF stations are you receiving? WCES-6 is the only one available on your reception survey. Also, high-band VHF-12 and 13 are in opposite directions.

Jim

ART1978

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I can get 6.1, 20.1 and 29.1 when its pointed in either direction. It will pick up 6.1, 20.1, and 26.1 from the back side of the antenna when I have it pointed southwest towards Macon. Both 12.1 and 13.1 are CBS stations and I can't get anything from those signals. I had 13.1 from the back side early one morning when I scanned channels. But it was gone as soon as it warmed up outside.

The VHF-hi came in the mail today but I won't be able to put it in until tomorrow. I was trying to just point one antenna towards Augusta(east 66 degrees) and get all of those stations but I will just try to get all my major station from either direction just like I did with the lava.

My goal right now is to get one of the CBS stations. I like 12.1. I think fox 54.1 is just to weak of a signal to pull in so I have it turned towards the west and I'm getting 24.1 right now.

Of the stations you're listing that you can receive, only 20.1 is VHF-lo (RF channel 6), and just barely. It also has a pretty strong signal in your area. 29.1 (RF channel 7) is technically VHF-hi, but you don't list it and it's pretty weak in your area.

The CBS stations you're wanting but not getting, 12.1 and 13.1, are both VHF-hi stations, but they are pretty weak in your area. You probably will need a VHF-ready antenna to pick them up, but once you have one you shouldn't have much difficulty picking them up. And you're right, you probably will struggle to get 54.1 no matter what antenna you use, unless you're willing to go with something pretty big and highly directional.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
To clarify for our readers REAL TV channels 2 through 13 and the FM Radio Broadcast Band are all VHF. The Channel frequencies are referred to as "low-band and "high-band" because of their relative locations on the electromagnetic spectrum.

TV Channels 2-6 occupy 54 MHz through 88 MHz and there is a 4 MHz gap between channels 4 and 5 to accommodate airport marker beacons.

From Wikipedia:

A marker beacon is a particular type of VHF radio beacon used in aviation, usually in conjunction with an instrument landing system (ILS), to give pilots a means to determine position along an established route to a destination such as a runway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marker_beacon

The FM Radio Broadcast Band occupies 88MHz through 174 MHz (although your dial says 108 as the upper limit).

TV Channels 7-13 occupy 174 MHz through 216 MHz.

Jim

Last edited:

ART1978

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hey Guys, So I was able to install my VHF antenna last night and the results were great. I have the HBD91x UHF antenna pointed West toward Macon and the VHF pointed toward Augusta. That gets me Fox 24.1 from Macon and CBS 12.1 from Augusta. The stations I'm getting are ABC 6.1, CBS 12.1, PBS 20.1, FOX 24.1, NBC 26.1, and PBS 29.1. All were very strong. I was also getting a weak signal from CBS 13.1 from Macon. In All 22 channels.

Thank You All for your Help! I will keep you posted if things change. I am hoping that I will still have these channels when I get home this afternoon from work. This summer heat seems to have a big effect on some channels while the sun is up.

Thank You Guys!
Al T.