Question: Need recommendation for a UHF antenna for extreme deep fringe area

madad00

DTVUSA Rookie
Need Help purchasing high-gain UHF Antenna for extreme deep fringe area
here's my report
TV Fool

i currently have an AntennaCraft 10-Element Channels 7-13 Yagi Antenna with a Winegard LNA-200 amp and i've been able to get channels 7,8,11 and 13 and on occasion 3 and 18 which this antenna isn't designed to do. As you can see from the Tvfool report, im in a very poor reception area. Having gotten those channels so far has given me hope in trying to get more with a high gain super UHF antenna but I'm having issues trying to decipher performance ratings. i need the most gain that can be had. i'm even willing to try ganging 2 antennas together if it comes to that. (Stacking multiple antennas)

I've been looking at these so far...

WINEGARD HD-9032 UHF High-Gain 35-Element HDTV Antenna
Antennas Direct 91XG Uni-Directional Antenna
Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB91x VHF/UHF HDTV Antenna (HDB91X)

I primarily want to get the major networks from NYC at 35.9 miles at 146deg but the negative noise margins seem really low for most of those stations. I'm going to try something and see what happens. Any help in recommending an antenna would be greatly appreciated.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
You're off to a good start. You have a decent VHF antenna and a good low noise amp. You are going to need a UHF-VHF Splitter/Joiner (UVSJ) - install it between the 2 antennas and the preamp, since it won't pass power to the preamp. Add a good fringe UHF antenna. I suggest tha DX91g or the Antennacraft MXU59 . I wouldn't attempt to stack 2 antennas unless the single UHF antenna doesn't work out. If you do need to stack, bear in mind you should use 2 identical antennas. Keep all antennas 3 feet apart.

Another thing I recommend with 1 and 2 edge signals like you have is to move the antenna around, up/down, NSEW, to find a "sweet spot" for reception.

Last edited:

madad00

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did go with the WINEGARD HD-9032 (it seemed to have the highest gain for real channels 25 to 35 what I was primarily trying to receive) and after trying different locations, even at ground level - no reception, I settled on the roof; First at 4 feet then at 9 feet. What a difference 5 feet makes in grabbing additional channels - 51 total to be exact! I've been able to get all the major networks except My9 in HD, but I do get the SD sub-channel 9.2 equivalent. With the antenna at 4 feet I couldn't get CBS, ION, and several others, even though they had a slightly higher signal level than NBC and FOX according to TVFool. NBC and FOX are listed in the -20NM range and i can't believe i can get those at all. Now i can watch some Football!
I did get an Antenna's Direct EU385CF UHF/VHF Antenna Combiner to combine the two antennas with no noticeable impacts to signal strength - thanks MrPogi. You saved me from buying 2 amps and running two separate RG6 lines into my house. I was originally going to amplify both antennas separately, then combine them by reversing a splitter. This combiner saved me the hassle of doing that.
As for anybody else that's reading this and stuck in a similar situation of extreme fringe area reception, here's a list of parts that I used that might help you.

VHF - AntennaCraft 10-Element Channels 7-13 Yagi Antenna with a WINEGARD TV-2900 82-Channel Weatherproof Transformer
UHF - WINEGARD HD-9032
connects to -
Antenna's Direct EU385CF UHF/VHF Antenna Combiner
connects to
Winegard LNA-200 amp (low Noise - 3 dB VHF - 1 dB UHF)
mounted on an 8 foot aluminum 1 and 1/4" electrical conduit from Lowes (was originally 10 feet, cut it to 8 foot to fit in my car)
mounted to a
Winegard SW-0010 Tripod Mount (It works and was cheap but you get what you pay for sometimes, would not buy this again)
Southwire Quad-Shield RG6 from Home depot ( purchased a 500ft roll, it was $15 more than the 100ft roll)
Quad connector compression fittings from Harbor Freight along with a RG6 wire stripper and compression tool.
100ft 12 gauge ground cable connected from antenna to grounding rod that was already installed (i think 8 gauge is what's really called for though)
2 Cable TV In-Line Coaxial Surge Protectors (suppose to pop like a fuse in-case of a direct lightning strike - one for antenna and one for cable modem line. i have them both connected to a dual grounding block and grounded to same grounding rod as ground cable)

I did not combine my cable modem line and antenna line but i wanted to ground them both the same as to avoid any potential electrical issues. I also read that proper grounding can help with reception.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
51 received channels and his TVFool antenna survey do not match.

:thumb: KUDOS to Madad for doing exactly what I did at my home to acheive free OTA reception. I didn't quit because I don't like to lose, either.