Question: Need Region-Free DVD Player

I understand some dvd players can be set to be region-free and some cannot. Anyone have experience with this and have a recommendation for me? Specifically I want to be able to play region 2 Europe dvd's. My cheap player is region 1 only as most US players come off the shelf and that cannot be modified, so far as I know; but probably some better players have such capability. Thanks for info and suggestions.

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
If you don't get your answer here, you might want to consider checking AVS Forums. I seem to recall that they discuss things of that nature over there, too.

Jim5506

DTVUSA Member
If you buy a DVD player for your computer, the software that comes with it is usually region free when you first run it.

AFAIK all stand alone DVD players in the USA are pre-coded for USA and Canada.

Lots of region free DVD Players on eBay.

I bought an absurdly cheap (~$12) DVD player at Walmart, maybe 10 years ago. A year later I bought a region 2 DVD online by mistake. Hit the intenet. In about ten minutes I found the "secret code" to make it a universal Region 0 player. But that didn't work. Found another code. Still no good. Third time was the charm.

Of course when I saw the FBI warning I immediately realized I was breaking the law by watching, so I sent the DVD back to Amazon for a refund. (Anybody believe that? :cheesy:)

I see a bunch of "all-region" players on EBay. Plan to get one. Should have thought of looking there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Not sure I like the idea of playing with "secret codes." Might give it a try. Sounds weird, turning it back off then back on again, and punching a bunch of seemingly random number keys on the remote.

So the idea behind all this is to discourage copying, piracy, and copyright infringement? Even if I legitimately buy a Europe DVD they don't want me to be able to play it just because I live here, so all the players in the stores are region 1 only, unless you tweak them. Just assume I would be making pirated copies and selling them? So prevent me from playing it?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I see a bunch of "all-region" players on EBay. Plan to get one. Should have thought of looking there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Not sure I like the idea of playing with "secret codes." Might give it a try. Sounds weird, turning it back off then back on again, and punching a bunch of seemingly random number keys on the remote.

So the idea behind all this is to discourage copying, piracy, and copyright infringement? Even if I legitimately buy a Europe DVD they don't want me to be able to play it just because I live here, so all the players in the stores are region 1 only, unless you tweak them. Just assume I would be making pirated copies and selling them? So prevent me from playing it?
I believe the reasoning behind it was to allow staggered release dates for different regions.

Also, you can change the region on a computer DVD player - but most only let you change it a few times. There's some software that lets you circumvent that, though.

Why is it weird? Manufacturer makes a DVD player. Factory is likely in China. They want to sell it in Europe, China, Africa, North America, etc. They don't want retailers opening the case just to set the region. The machine has CMOS RAM in it anyway. So they make a code. They don't want the code to be obvious so every end user will guess it. There ya go.

[Legal disclaimer: IANAL, so don't believe a word of this and don't sue me]
You don't understand. Last time I checked the fine print maybe 8 or 9 years ago, you don't even own the physical DVD. If you break the copyright law they rammed through congress, they may come with a warrant and reclaim the hardware -- right after they throw your asterisk in jail for 1 year on a first offence. You only own the right to play the DVD at home, under the explicit conditions of the law. Playing a Region 2 DVD anywhere in region 1 breaks the copyright and you can go to jail. Just by playing the DVD you are "copying" it into your speakers and onto your screen of choice. Get it?? You can buy a region 6 DVD, that's fine. But you're supposed to move to China if you want to watch it.

The object is to make sure they get every last dime out of your pocket. The price of copyrighted material varies wildly depending on where it is sold. For example, if the original language is Spanish, English speaking people aren't willing to pay a premium price for it, even if English dubbing and/or subtitles are extremely well done. I'm a big Sherlock Holmes fan. I've seen Chinese prints of the complete Grenada series go on eBay for $30. You can turn off the Chinese subtitles and watch it English with the original actor's voices. (I mean, that's the rumor. No way I could ever know that for sure...)

Rick

Bertrand

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I understand some dvd players can be set to be region-free and some cannot. Anyone have experience with this and have a recommendation for me? Specifically I want to be able to play region 2 Europe dvd's. My cheap player is region 1 only as most US players come off the shelf and that cannot be modified, so far as I know; but probably some better players have such capability. Thanks for info and suggestions.
i usually play dvd on my computer, this one is region free dvd player (software): WinX DVD Player - Amazing DVD Player with Excellent Video/Audio Quality