Need some quick advice on modem purchase. - Time Warner Internet

This question is about "Need some quick advice on modem purchase.", with Time Warner Cable internet and apps. Hi all.
Well, after being at my address for 14 years and living with dial up for the first 6 of those years and then getting a DSL connection for the past 8 years that maxes out typically at around 2Mbps, TWC (or Spectrum I guess now in Central NY) contacted me today and let me know cable is now available at my address. I noticed the equipment being installed at the poles on my road a couple months ago and now it's finally happened...service is ready here.

So I called TWC (Spectrum) today and ordered the maximum available speed internet I could get which is 50/5. I did not choose the option to lease their modem. I have no idea if faster speeds will be offered in the future, but I'd like to be a little future proof. So I want to get I guess a 16x4 minimum modem. Maybe even more like a 24x8. Just don't know if I need that yet.

I'm wiling to spend between $100 - $200 on something that will last me for 3-5 years. Obviouisly the lower cost the better. So I'm wondering what existing customers would recommend from the current list of approved modems at https://www.timewarnercable.com/con...fs/support/internet/twc-compatible-modems.pdf.

Also, do you recommend getting a modem that is NOT a wireless router also and buying a separate wireless router? Or do you think the combination modem/wireless routers available from the list are OK?

Looks like I can get an Arris SB6190 (32x8), or a Netgear CM600 (24x8) for a tad more than $100. Then I'd need to get a wireless router. Or maybe I don't even need a modem as good as the two I listed and could go with something cheaper and be sure to get a good wireless router. Or maybe I should only look at combination modem / wireless routers like the Netgear C7000 or Arris SBG6900-AC.

My problem is the service is scheduled to be installed on Thursday or Friday of this week. So I need to purchase like really soon - hopefully by today (later) which is Tuesday the 24th. Typically I would just spend lots of time researching and then after I've gathered all the relevant data go purchase. But I don't have the time I typically would have.

I sincerely appreciate any help you might be able to provide.
Thx
Bill

This topic covered Need some quick advice on modem purchase., and TWC cable internet service.

J

Joe V

I highly recommend purchasing the Motorola MG7550 modem + router. It costs $175 but it is the BEST. I have comcast as my internet provider and am provisioned at 150 megs and my speeds are anywhere from 170 to 210 megs.