Question: need TV/ Radio antenna suggestions + tv fool report

I am looking for advice for a roof mounted antenna. I want to get radio as well as any TV channels I can. I live in the in the country so I know I might only get a couple of channels. I am willing to spend as much as $100. I have included the link as well as the image TV Fool as well. Any advice on an antenna that would work for my situation would be appreciated.

Thanks

Radar-All.jpg
TV Fool

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I'm going to assume that all the stations in green @ 331 degrees are translators, according to a zip code search on RabbitEars.info RabbitEars.Info and you should need a good UHF antenna pointed at 331 degrees for that. I recommend the StellarLabs 30-2155 60 mi yagi ($19.99) for your TV viewing pleasure.

As for FM radio, I did a zip-code level search on FMfool, and it seems your signals come all directions. So I'm going to suggest the Stellar Labs 30-2435 Omni antenna ($9.99). If you want an FM antenna with a little more gain, try the Antennacraft Omni FM for $10 more.

So, 2 antennas for under $30 plus shipping. How are we doing so far with that $100 budget? :) You could run a separate coax for each, or use a UVSJ (UHF/VHF Splitter/Joiner) ($5.99+shipping) to combine the 2 into one coax. Place both antennas on the roof where there is a clear shot at 331 degrees, almost any standard antenna mounting, from a tall J-pipe to a tripod mast mount, will work. Don't forget to ground it!

The Tv fool report posted shows a good selection of nearby UHF translators. The TV fool report posted was only resolved to a block level that really is not close enough to be accurate in some locations a 100 foot movement of antenna one direction or the other can make a big difference in signal. Redo the report using exact coordinates see if it changes anything. Sometimes exact address is close enough, but not always in rural areas. You can use the map feature on TV fool to get an exact location report.
https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90
Based on the report posted I would suggest a small UHF yagi or 4 bay UHF antenna aimed at 330 degrees magnetic.
Stellar Labs HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Television Antenna | 30-2155 (302155) | Stellar Labs
Stellar Labs HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Bowtie Television Antenna | 30-2425 (302425) | Stellar Labs
I chose those two suggestions based on low cost. If you wish to spend more there are higher priced options. Are there trees or buildings in that direction that will block signal?
On the radio side the question I would have to suggest a separate antenna. I need to know more about what you want in the way of radio antenna. Directional? Omni? Local? Distant? It could be quite simple depending upon your needs. FM reception is most generally easier than television. I see MrPogi just beat me to it. I like what he posted. I'm just slow to post.
Steve

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
If the OP has a SPECIFIC FM station that's really distant, then I would suggest a directional FM antenna. Otherwise, for most people, a good omni is better for FM. The nature of FM radio is there are more stations and they are located in different places, making an omni the best choice if you want a lot of stations. TV transmitters are fewer in number and also tend to be clustered in just a few locations.

Thank you for the feedback guys. Its much appreciated. There is a grove of trees on the west side of the house starting about 30 feet from the house. If the signals come primarily from the north west the trees might be a little problem but not as much as if the signals were from due west. The house is a 3 story (2+big attic) that the antenna will be roof mounted on. Its awesome that I can get one so cheap. I attached a new tvfool link and report. Sorry it took so long for a new post but have been dealing with a new english mastiff pup.

Once again thanks for the time.

Radar-All.jpg

TV Fool

I see the TV fool didn't really change, but it's always worth checking. The only thing I might add to whats already been said you could consider for a bit more money the addition of VHF capability would get you KEYC direct it is not really needed as it is on the translator K49JG.
Stellar Labs VHF/UHF HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Antenna | 30-2440 (302440) | Stellar Labs
I live in an area where most of the translators not owned by the broadcasters have been shut down in the last year.
Steve