Need Violet Antenna Suggestions

Hello, all! After doing some research, it looks like I need a "violet" antenna to mount on my roof. I get some decent reception inside with my AmazonBasics amplified flat antenna, but I can't get a lot of main channels like Fox, NBC, or CBS. As you can see from the TV Fool report, the repeaters I need to pull from are located on the top of a mountain. I can point a directional toward that area, but want to know what you all would recommend before I purchase something. Thanks in advance!

TV Fool

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Either a single antenna with a rotor or two separate antennas, one for VHF and another for UHF. A good choice on the latter would be the Antennacraft MXU59 for the UHF signals and an Antennacraft Y10713 for the high band VHF channels. You can actually connect the Y10713 to the MXU59 with twin lead cable since the MXU59 is designed to connect with another antenna. Low band channel 4 should come in with the high band VHF antenna since the signal is pretty strong.

You may want to add a preamp to the set up too.

Last edited:
I'll be the first to admit I don't see an easy buy this one antenna solution to receive all major networks. Something as simple as an Antennacraft C290 aimed at 242 degrees magnetic should get you NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, and CW is strong enough to probably be received off the side. The problem with that is no Fox. Aiming at 8 degrees magnetic is a good idea, and could get you everything, but will require a very high gain antenna system. The suggested Y10713, and MXU59 is a good idea. The problem with that is the CBS, and PBS signals are predicted to be quite low in strength when there are much stronger signals for those 2 networks available at 242 degrees. You may find that the situation is easier, or possibly more difficult to work out when you actually start working with an antenna system in the real world where some reception off the back, and sides takes place, signal levels do not always match predictions, and reception of signals transmitted on channels the antenna was designed to receive takes place.
When combining a UHF, and VHF antenna use an appropriate signal combiner a UVSJ or a dual input amplifier. While using 300 ohm twin lead looks like an easy solution it will result in significant signal loss on both bands. I really wish it was that easy to combine a UHF and VHF antenna without large signal losses it would solve a lot of problems, and everyone would probably be doing it that way.
Steve

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
The reason you can't get CBS 13 and NBC 4 is that they are VHF channels (Channels 2-13), and the antenna you have is UHF only. The reason you don't get Fox is that there doesn't appear to be a translator for FOX towards the West. Your transmitter for Fox is to the North. While the transmitters to the North are closer, you have terrain blocking the signal.

If you aim at the transmitters at 264 degrees, you can get all the "major" networks minus FOX using a large all channel antenna like the RCA ANT3036 36-Element Universal Outdoor TV Antenna (ANT3036W) or the Antennacraft Colorstar C490 (from Radio Shack)
- You may even get the CW off the side because it's a very strong signal. Fox 25 is your problem child.

What may work for you is the Antennacraft Colorstar C490 or a VHF-hi/UHF combo antenna like the AntennaCraft HBU55 aimed to about 18 degrees. Even though these are weaker 1-edge signals, there should be enough noise margin (NM) to get them reliably. Since they are edge signals, moving the antenna up or down or NSEW could make a big difference in your reception. Again, CW being so strong may come in off the back of the antenna.

If it were me, I would get the Antennacraft Colorstar C490 and point to 18 degrees. I would wait until the antenna is set up before deciding if you need a pre-amp.

Question: how many feet of cable do you plan / think you will use, and how many TV sets will you split to?

Last edited: