Neilsen Ratings show 500 Million fewer primetime viewers this weekend compared to

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
compared to last weekend. Is this due to the digital transition? :behindsofa:

The all-important Nielsen ratings indicate only a slight decline. Compared with the previous weekend, about half a million fewer viewers were watching in prime time on Saturday and Sunday. The declines could be related to digital TV, or they could be more banal, a result of warmer weather or fewer high profile sports events on TV.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/18/technology/18digital.html?ref=technology

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
hehe these new smileys crack me up.

That article really avoids pointing a finger at the digital transition for any drop in ratings, but the facts are

post transition: first weekend ratings have significantly dropped by a half billion

how can the New York Times note, "Nielsen ratings indicate only a slight decline". Sounds like an understatement, but whadoiknow.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Or it could be Nielsen neglected to count the digital viewers again:dance:
There had to be a loss of viewers that got caught in the "Hidden" transition of station flash cutting back to VHF.

But I tend to also agree strongly with 1inxs about Nielsen lacking accuracy on many occasions.

:mad:)

Aries

DTVUSA Member
Doubt it's related to the DTVT, but still, I don't get how these kinds of things can be inaccurate, isn't there a simple way to tell at a glance how many people are looking at one particular channel?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Questions and Answers 3