Netflix Bracing For Slowdown In Subscriber Growth

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Netflix Bracing For Slowdown In Subscriber Growth

From the article:

"Netflix Inc. is bracing for a backlash to its recently announced price hikes that could result in its slowest subscriber growth in more than three years." ...

... "The change means customers will have to pay substantially more if they want to get both DVDs and Internet video from Netflix." ...

... "Management didn't estimate how many subscribers will cancel, but a large customer exodus appears to be factored into the company's forecast for the current quarter." ...
---------------------------------
For background on the Netflix price hikes, here's a prior Forum posting:

http://www.dtvusaforum.com/internet-tv/42193-wham-netflix-raises-its-price-up-60-a.html

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I can see where it would cause some customers to cancel. But more likely, I think it will force some consumers to choose one product or the other.

"Streaming only" is good because it provides instant gratification, and its downside is less content to choose from, no bonus features, poorer picture quality and b-u-f-f-e-r-i-n-g. Plus, your ISP hates Netflix and throttles and puts data caps on your account.

"Discs by Mail" has a vast catalog of content, offers newer releases, better picture quality, and bonus features. On the other hand, you have to wait for it to come to you, and you have to remember to return it quickly to get the next disc. And you can forget about watching 3-4 movies a day.

I, personally, am conflicted!

krisbee

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I decided to stick with both - streaming is good, buffering on my Roku only takes 20 seconds or so - and I find unusual and interesting content I normally wouldn't have elsewhere.

DVD's for anything else that isn't available, and I don't have the hassle of having to return the disc - it is worth waiting for dvd's to show up after brick and mortar just for that alone for me. Gas is expensive and I live 10-15 miles from town.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I think folks will look for alternatives and there are beginning to be more of those to choose from. I know a few folks who have canceled their Netflix accounts.