Netflix DVD-by-mail service split from Netflix website, will be renamed Qwikster.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Read the full article at http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/explanation-and-some-reflections.html

we realized that streaming and DVD by mail are becoming two quite different businesses, with very different cost structures, different benefits that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently. It’s hard for me to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary and best: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”.
Looks to me like this is an attempt to further cast aside the DVD by mail business.

IMO, I expect Qwikster - Rent Movies, TV Shows, and Video Games on DVD - Coming Soon to be quickly spun off and sold.

By the way: DUMBEST NAME EVER.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Staff member
He may get some sum of money for it, but any thing he gets will quickly go "Up In Smoke". I bet if they offered him a bag of weed, it'd be a done deal.

MrPogi

Staff member
Yes, it moved too fast. Splitting the service would mean having to maintain 2 queues, 2 bills, and having you searching 2 sites to finad a single movie or series.

But that doesn't mean that they won't try to spin off the Disc by mail service at some later point, and try to sell it off. Hopefully, by that time, Netflix will have the majority of what people want available as streaming media. I hope that they'll chose a better name than "Qwikster".