Netflix going to raise rates

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Unless it's an outrageous (more than $1 or $2 a month) increase, I don't think there will be many people quitting the service. I may opt for an SD only plan to save a buck or 2 a month (story here Netflix ). But probably not, since my daughter has just decided she is going to pay for our Netflix!

About the SD plan -
At Netflix we continuously test new things. In this case we are testing a $6.99 single stream price point. Not everyone will see this and we may not ever offer it generally. Note: we are also testing a $9.99 three stream price point (some people will see this, others won't)
Typically tests take anywhere from several weeks to several months. Whether we roll out any of these options depends on the test results. Ultimately we look to offer options that make our members happier, measured by their use of our service.

James

DTVUSA Member
The discussions on the website are interesting. Some people say they do not care about HD on Netflix because they watch on a phone or watch older shows. Interesting. makes sense if the content is not in HD. But is there a lack of love for HD among most Netflix viewers? Sometimes the people who respond to these types of articles lean a certain way. A price increase or hint of benefit reduction usually brings out the "I don't need XYZ" crowd while many simply don't respond or really do not even read the article.

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
We had the basic package after we found out we didn't watch half the channels they offered but prepaid selective cable should be an option

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I just got Comcast internet. They gave me a price list for their other services - their "limited basic" cable is now $25 a month. That includes just the local broadcast channels - no subchannels - some shopping channels and a 2-3 channels like History and Discovery, and each additional TV needs a set top box @ $2.50 a month. Funny thing is that during the digital switchover for OTA in 2009 they were offering the same thing for just $10. And they made it seem soooo difficult to connect a converter box to an existing antenna and TV!

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
I didnt have that basic of service I had 1-75 which is basic in our area for i think it was around 35 maybe and a rental fee per box which at the time was ok until commercials took over then we upgraded to digital with around 400+ channels with barley any commercials