NetZero to launch free wireless Internet service

dkreichen1968

Staff member
NetZero is returning with free Internet service -- only this time it's wireless.

United Online announced Monday that it will offer free wireless Internet service under its NetZero brand, the one that started the free dial-up phenomenon in 1998. The company is backing up the plan with TV, print and online advertisements.

There are plenty of catches with the plan. United isn't offsetting its costs by making users look at ads, as it did with its original offer of free dial-up access. The "free" users will be money-losers for the company, United Online Chairman and CEO Mark Goldston said. That means United Online is using the free plan as a way to lure customers with the hope of upgrading them to paying plans, which start at $9.95 a month.

To take advantage of the offer, consumers will need to buy a $50 antenna stick that plugs into a laptop, or a $100 "mobile hotspot" that allows any Wi-Fi equipped device to connect to the Internet. The free accounts are limited to 200 megabytes of data a month -- enough for some email and Web surfing, but little else. When the monthly traffic allotment is exhausted, NetZero cuts off Internet access until the start of the next month.
Read More: Tech Ticker: NetZero to launch free wireless service; Amazon buying Kiva Systems; tablets boost appetite for news - San Jose Mercury News

This might be a good deal if you just want to check your e-mail when your not close to WiFi. At the moment the coverage is very limited (not in my area yet). The pay plans range from 500 MB for $9.95 to 4GB for $49.95.

http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=NZINTISP0312SPMPP

The "free" users will be money-losers for the company, United Online Chairman and CEO Mark Goldston said. That means United Online is using the free plan as a way to lure customers with the hope of upgrading them to paying plans, which start at $9.95 a month.
lol Offer something for free and hope that people will pay for it. Yeah that plan has worked real well for the US government over the years. Anyhoo, free is nice. Would be nice to cancel my wifi 3G card.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Doesn't sound very free with a $150 investment off the top. There are some basic services that allow that kind of access for checking email and such. NetZero was revolutionary in those old days. I never used it, but I know some who did.