New ATSC Standard Allows for Non-Real-Time Delivery

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Thank God It's Backward Compatible

The Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) has approved the adoption of an enhancement to the current broadcast digital video transmission system which will allow broadcasters to transmit file-based content on a non-real-time (NRT) basis. The new standard, designated A/103, is backwardly compatible with the present U.S. digital broadcast standard and supports both fixed and mobile television services.

NRT delivery capability was lacking in the original implementation of digital television broadcasting, and its implementation is expected to be a boon to viewers who aren’t able or who don’t wish to view some of a broadcaster’s program offerings on a real-time basis.

“Television broadcasting remains the most efficient means to move popular content to a very large audience because broadcasting is an infinitely scalable one-to-many technology,” said Mark Richer, ATSC president. [The] ATSC’s new NRT standard gives broadcasters the capability to deliver all types of file-based content to consumers. Using broadcast television, programmers will be able to send content that a viewer may watch at their convenience.”
Read More: TVTechnology: ATSC Approves DTV Non-Real-Time Delivery System

Okay, they say that this will actually let there be 3DTV using ATSC 2.0. Not that anyone really cares about 3DtV!!! I'm for anything that will mean that I will be able to continue to get free TV in the future. And, no need for a new converter box program (or me needing to spring for a new converter box) is a great bonus.