New channels mysteriously appear, but...

Lurker Lee

DTVUSA Member
there is nothing on them? This has happened probably 3-4 times since the 12th. My converter box is attached to a tv that I don't use much so usually just turn it on once or twice a day to see what's working. When I turn the box on, I get a message about finding a new channel. So out of curiosity I try to tune in the new channel and invariably it has a signal strength of zero and gives me a "signal lost" message.

I"m mostly just curious about this. Is this (magically appearing empty channels) a common phenomenon? Sometimes they have program info for the channels but usually not. I vaguely remember that previously when we used an antenna, we seemed to get more channels at night, so I'm guessing maybe the box is waking up and finding new channels at night?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I know this happens as the stations change the station frequency. It will probably be occurring over the next several weeks due to the DTV transition. When they move the signal to the new frequency the old frequency will still be in use although there is nothing being broadcast on it. You will pick up a zero signal until it is shut down completely. Did this make any sense?
there is nothing on them? This has happened probably 3-4 times since the 12th. My converter box is attached to a tv that I don't use much so usually just turn it on once or twice a day to see what's working. When I turn the box on, I get a message about finding a new channel. So out of curiosity I try to tune in the new channel and invariably it has a signal strength of zero and gives me a "signal lost" message.

I"m mostly just curious about this. Is this (magically appearing empty channels) a common phenomenon? Sometimes they have program info for the channels but usually not. I vaguely remember that previously when we used an antenna, we seemed to get more channels at night, so I'm guessing maybe the box is waking up and finding new channels at night?

Piggie

Super Moderator
Could be a couple of things. The engineers could be messing with the PSIP data that will create channels. It could be a channel where they are experimenting sending data.

It could also be skip. Sometimes my box and TV will find a channel like that. Maybe it peaked up long enough to be added but then faded out. All my TV's and boxes do that. I just go in and delete them.

Lurker Lee

DTVUSA Member
I know this happens as the stations change the station frequency. It will probably be occurring over the next several weeks due to the DTV transition. When they move the signal to the new frequency the old frequency will still be in use although there is nothing being broadcast on it. You will pick up a zero signal until it is shut down completely. Did this make any sense?
It does, actually.... and that alone is a little scarey ;). I wouldn't have known about this changing frequencies if I hadn't found this forum. So thank you both again. I am just a little bummed that this isn't really a hoard of new channels... it's kind of like getting a surprise package, only to discover it's empty.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Here's another possibility. Whenever I scan for channels on my digital tv, it always finds a channel 41 but there's never anything there.

What's happening is the tv's tuner is locking into WHIO channel 7's rf frequency which is channel 41 and saving it as if it were a separate station. The tv then displays channel 7 with picture and sound and its rf frequency channel 41 with no picture or sound.

Check to see if those mysterious stations you're getting have the same rf frequencies as some of your local channels do.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Check to see if those mysterious stations you're getting have the same rf frequencies as some of your local channels do.
A lot of mine are the RF channel of a station I do pick up.

One day they were playing at a local station and my TV grabbed up to -12, lol.

The WJCT has a 7.6 and 7.7 that I have no idea why they are in their PSIP map. Those two are always there.

All in all you just learn to delete.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Mine aren't mystery channels, but I do get that lost signal screen quite a bit. I think that's just the weather wreaking havoc with the reception. That's a difference between now and the old days. In the past, you just got a lousy, squirrelly picture; now you get fancy boxes that tell you there's no signal.