New Converter Boxes available?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Are there any new converter boxes on the market? I would have expected a few more brands or models to come out this year but from what I've seen on here and at AVSForum, it just doesn't look like there are any new ones.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
You'll find new DTV tuners coming on the market for HTPCs (i.e., computer cards). There's practically no money to be made from stand-alone DTV tuners to support old televisions, so I wouldn't expect to see new tuners coming on the market for that space. All the attention, there, is going to be focused on putting such tuners into new televisions, where there is a better chance of yielding some decent profitability.

n2rj

Staff member
Are there any new converter boxes on the market? I would have expected a few more brands or models to come out this year but from what I've seen on here and at AVSForum, it just doesn't look like there are any new ones.
There won't be. Think of the CECB program as a giant "stimulus" handout to the equipment manufacturers. The boxes were subsidized at $40 apiece, remember? Now that people have to fork over their own cash, there won't be demand for the CECB boxes. In fact if I were in the market for a box today I'd just forget about a CECB and buy a DVD recorder, VCR or DVR with a digital tuner. For about $90 I get the ability to watch AND record digital channels instead of paying $50 for the ability to watch live TV (who does that these days anyway???)

A lot of people also took the opportunity to update their old TV sets with the digital transition... perfectly good CRT sets sit at the side of the road or end up somewhere in the third world and literally burned for scrap metal.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
What I've seen is a lot of remanufactured and leftover stock... most notably, Magnavox dominates Ebay. There are a few still being made, you can find them at best buy and walmart (online for sure, some maybe in stores), as well as some online sellers.

I have seen no hd tuners, only DTA converters.

Yea, now that the boxes have no gov't subsidy, I would buy a new TV.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Thanks. That's what I thought. Would be nice to see some more HD tuners for sure. I've been helping family members convert their TVs over the past couple of years to DTV and a few of them have TVs in their spare bedrooms that need to be updated. I guess eBay is the best bet for now.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Garage sales, thrift stores, ebay, craigs list.

Hey when was the last time anyone saw a UHF converter box, or an FM converter for a car? I'll bet the DTV converter boxes end up the same way. The only use for them after another 10 years will be to make antique B+W Philcos work.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
There are a lot of nice analog TVs out there for cheap. I've read that UHF converters were being manufactured and sold into the late 70s early 80s for TVs manufactured in the early 1960s so I'd expect to see DTV converters for sometime. There is just a glut right now because of the coupon program, but a lot of them had the failing cheap capacitors, so I expect that there will be companies that end up making new production runs in the future.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: PJarvis,

WELCOME to the forum, and the world of free TV!

I am sorry, but the government $40 coupon program has been over for some time now. The "coupons" were actually like pre-paid debit cards that expired 90 days after issue. If you should happen to have one, or if you find one of these coupons for sale on Craigs list or Ebay, they are all expired and they are worthless.

That being said, you still have a number of options:

Try the local Thrift store, people often give them to charity when they no longer need them. Garage sales are also a good source, as people upgrade their old TVs. Make sure to test them to be sure they work first! Sometimes they will have no remote, but you can buy a replacement remote for about $10.

Best Buy still sells them and there is one available at Wal-Mart ($38, online only, w/ site to store) or you can try Ebay, using our Auction-bot located at the bottom of the Forum page. Check on your local Craigslist, too.

Another option is to replace your current TV with a new TV, which will not only get you free broadcast TV, but give it to you in High Definition. Smaller models, 15 to 30 inches, are priced from about $150 to $300.

If you are near the Canadian or Mexican border and currently receive analog signals from foreign stations, or if you have been receiving a LP analog translator, the Converter Box needs to have a function called "analog pass thru" for it to be able to receive those stations. Many Canadian and Mexican stations are now converting to digital in the near future.

Make sure you have a proper antenna for it, rabbit ears don't work very well. We can help you out with selecting the right antenna for your location.

If you have any more questions, please ask.