New guy and I need antenna advise

Hi Guys,

Great forum. I have learned a lot reading through the different threads, but I still feel as green as a pasture about choosing an antenna. I would really like some recommendations from people who know what they are doing. I have posted my "TV Signal Analysis Results" link from TVFool.com below.

I have an old Dish Network satellite dish mounted on my roof. See attached picture. I want to remove the satellite dish and put an OTA antenna on that stand. The coaxial cables from the dish go to my cable box and I can run the signal through the house from there to my TV. The dish mount is about 12 feet above the ground. Most of the signals i need are about 50 miles to the south, and a little to the east. I might get a little obstruction from the house next door, however I could probably raise the antenna if needed.

20150613_123410_resized.jpg

TV Fool

Thank you all.

Cheers,
Bob

The signals in your area are a mix of high VHF, and UHF which is quite common. I would recommend the Winegard HD7694P aimed at about 168 degrees. I do see two potential problems with that. The FOX affiliate KTTW signal on real channel 7 VHF is not predicted to be real strong which would indicate the need for a larger antenna.(HD7697P, or HD7698P) However there is a very strong KTTW signal being transmitted on on channel 50 UHF from the nearby K50DG-D translator which could very well be strong enough too be received off the back side of the smaller antenna. K50DG-D BROOKINGS, SD
The other problem I see is the direction of the local PBS affiliate real channel 8 VHF it is also a strong signal but is not in very favorable direction for reception off the side of the antenna. You really won't know until you try.
Steve

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
There is also a PBS @ 123 degrees channel 15 rf. It's weak, but doable with a strong UHF antenna.

I did notice the additional PBS signal, but 45 degrees difference in aim with an NM of 1.6. It might be doable. I didn't fail to notice the CBS affiliate on real channel 3 at 320 degrees, but the low VHF antenna availability and aiming difference would add too much cost and complexity to the antenna system.

Thanks for the help. I'll get the Winegard HD7694P to start with. This is all about learning and having some fun in the process. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I did notice the additional PBS signal, but 45 degrees difference in aim with an NM of 1.6. It might be doable. I didn't fail to notice the CBS affiliate on real channel 3 at 320 degrees, but the low VHF antenna availability and aiming difference would add too much cost and complexity to the antenna system.
KELO 11 and KDLO 3 have the same programming, so you only need one.