New LCD TVs vs. CRT Consoles: lifespans/prices

I still love my console TVs. one a 13" RCA from the late '70s and more recently a Curtis Mathes 25" console from 1986, still featuring vacuum tubes and the 'sub-power' switch in back which keeps them 'warm' so you get a picture instantly when powering it on.

They're both over 20+ years old. when you look into the original print-ads for them, they cost a TON of money. some even upwards of $1,000 each. (the Curtis Mathes console). but of course i come from a generation where you pay more, you get more. back then it was true.

Today, you pay very similar for a brand new Plasma or 50" widescreen DLP/LCD TV. but you are lucky if the lamps last a couple years, or even months. VCRs today are lucky to last a couple years, when the top-loaders of yesterday last at least 10 even if they were budget brands.

Today's TVs have 'protection circuits' in them which disable the entire set if even the tiniest thing happens, a temporary brown out for example. that's akin to 'planned obselesence' and those protection circuits protect very little. they don't protect your wallet. even CRT TVs within the last 10 years have them. i've been able to circumvent the ones with the protection circuits which simply open the power relay to kill the set by fusing it manually where the relay is permenantly fused and while it brings the TV back to life, (proving how useless protection circuitry really is, esp if it was activated by a temporary power issue and not a problem within the set itself) you're forced to pull the plug to turn it off.

More recent sets don't use relays and there's no real way to revive one which disabled itself. :( which was the case of my 27" Magnavox TV. even though made in 1991, it had a failsafe protection circuit. so it was done.

But it got me thinking. why is it you pay so much for TVs that never warrant such prices? why can't one pay $1,000 or more and have a set which lasts 20 or so years? i will stand on the fact that my thrift store consoles not only have more functionality (they make their own stands for other equipment such as VCRs/DVD players) but they have already out-lived any new HD-set made today.

Am i suddenly no longer 'hip' because i'm the kind of person who prefers to have something last a long time when i buy it? or am i smarter to assume that i won't have anything which dies prematurely on purpose because i refuse to live in a disposable society? who knows. but it does make one think, doesn't it?

Oh and for some fun trivia, the TV/VCR combo which has habits of powering the TV off for no apparent reason (like the VCR works but then the TV/unit powers off all of the sudden) that's what's known as a fault protection circuit. if there was a 'problem' it shuts it off. you can find the relay, fuse it (solder a jumper to the relay to force it closed no matter what) and your TV/VCR combo works all the time. of course if it was caused by a tape problem such as loading or eject it could damage the tape/vcr components if you do this so don't take it too literally.

Last edited: