New to this, always been with cable in past

dbtmellis

DTVUSA Jr. Member
My wife and I decied to Dump Comcast, and go with these new "Digital TV" airewaves. Comcast is the only provider of Cable in our area, and our landord wont let us install a Satalite dish for DirectTV.

We got a Converter Box and and Antenna, Set it up, but it cannot pick up a signal. I still have a CRT TV, its about 12 years old, its not "old" but its pretty recent with current TV Tech.

Now that the Analog signals are gone, i cant tell if i ever have had a airwave signal or not, since i have always has cable service.

So, does anyone know how i can tell if i have a Airwave signal or not? Or how can i tell if its my setup thats not properly working?

Welcome to the forum.

You're not alone in dumping cable, my ball and chain and I have been playing with the idea too.

On to your question. First things first. Determine the distance between tv broadcast towers and your house by going to TV Fool and then post your results page here. Without this information, we'd be shooting in the dark. Also, what is your current antenna setup? Indoor? Outdoor?

dbtmellis

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Here is info to my area

I have an indoor antenna, the landlord wont let us install an outdoor antenna or a Sat Dish.

My zip code is 06360, Norwich, Connecticut

I really have no idea how to read any of this infomation.

[/IMG]

Last edited:
You can put an indoor (non-powered) antenna outside without ensuing wrath from the Landlord as it would be a temporary one. an amp can run inline from the antenna to the box, and be used inside. even putting one on a windowsil would work wonders and you won't have it go in/out as you walk around the house, prepare food, etc.

If you had ever been with Satellite, you'll be prone to rain fade and signal outages the same exact fashion as satellite, so when storms come, you won't have much of a signal to work with. i'd recommend a Weather Radio vs. relying on the TV to get accurate and reliable weather info.

dbtmellis

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I had DishNetwork Satalite before, with no problems. I would love to go back to Dish service.

When i moved into my current place we could only use Comcast or the Airwaves.

Dont outdoor antennas have to be weatherproof? I dont think what i got is going to stand up to the elements.

I dont know the brand of my antenna, is brand new, its flat, black, and it sort of Sting-Ray shaped. Best way i can describe it. I bought it at Walmart.

We bought it 6 months ago, but havent started to use it until now.

Last edited:

dbtmellis

DTVUSA Jr. Member
My wife and i have been using the TV website Hulu, and the instant viewing on Netflix on our Laptop. This is not a replacement to TV, i just am trying to save a few bucks. I havent used the "Free" airwaves since i was a kid.

IF you have a broadband internet connection (who doesn't?) you have a whole plethora of choices and free on-demand shows just perfect to watch. no commercials either.

See the Internet TV Forum. that's the real digital transition as far as i'm concerned, now if only the wi-fi reached to my house. there is one wi-fi hotspot but it's one of them stupid 'WEP protected' crap. damn i wish no one got smart with that, a couple years ago there wasn't anywhere you could go without a 'free' internet connection.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
My wife and I decied to Dump Comcast, and go with these new "Digital TV" airewaves. Comcast is the only provider of Cable in our area, and our landord wont let us install a Satalite dish for DirectTV.

We got a Converter Box and and Antenna, Set it up, but it cannot pick up a signal. I still have a CRT TV, its about 12 years old, its not "old" but its pretty recent with current TV Tech.

Now that the Analog signals are gone, i cant tell if i ever have had a airwave signal or not, since i have always has cable service.

So, does anyone know how i can tell if i have a Airwave signal or not? Or how can i tell if its my setup thats not properly working?
Hi dbtmellis,
wanted to confirm, you've performed an autochannel scan, and are not receiving any channels right now?

dbtmellis

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yes thats correct, i have done the autoscan at least 10 times since i set the box up.

After looking at the websites that are linked here, i am begining to wonder if were i am at i am just SOL for signal recpetion.

I really dont know of anyone who still uses an Antenna.

Unfortunetly with an indoor antenna based on your channel map you'd probably only have success with the green and the yellow's. For the pink and the purple you'd need something outdoors.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Yes thats correct, i have done the autoscan at least 10 times since i set the box up.

After looking at the websites that are linked here, i am begining to wonder if were i am at i am just SOL for signal recpetion.

I really dont know of anyone who still uses an Antenna.
One thing deceiving about the TVFool plot is if you don't put in an antenna height it sets or defaults to 30 ft, which is a tall antenna these days that normally takes professional installation. (over 20 ft get a lot harder).

It also works better on exact address or coordinates, but I put it in for just the zip code at 3 ft, which is about how high most indoor antennas are mounted.

Also note that WPXQ moved their tower farther away.

------

The antenna you have sounds like either a Silver Sensor or a Terk HDTV. Does it have a power cord?

As you see there are a lot less channels now that the first plot at 30 fit

If you're going outdoors you need to put in the height your antenna will be in feet, and if you're using a tower you'll want to keep going higher until you get line of sight clearance.

If I was a landlord and a tenant asked me if they could put up an outdoor antenna I'd let them no questions asked as long as they set everything up right and did a good job grounding it correctly.

dbtmellis

DTVUSA Jr. Member
My Antenna does not have a power cord. I paid only $6 for it I believe. I think it’s made by either RCA or Philips; those seem to be the two major brands at the Wal-Mart I shop at.

My Mother-in-law has the same type of Antenna and gets her signals with no problem (she lives in maryland)

I live in an older building that was at one time a Textile Mill. The outer walls are made of brick. I do believe that has a major part it. I also live in a river valley; there are two rivers that converge near where I live. I live about 1/2 mile up river from the convergence.

Looking outside my window, there is actually a very steep hill across the street from me. (Not quite a cliff, but too steep for a normal person to walk up without any assistance)

I asked as to why the landlord (actually is a management company) they told me that they don’t want random placement of objects all over the roof. I do not have an outdoor area, such as a balcony or a patio. I do however have 8 foot tall windows. I live on the second floor, each Apt has 15 ft ceiling, so my guess is that my Antenna sits about 20ft off the ground. (15ft for the first floor and I believe that my antenna is 5 ft off the floor of my Apt). I do not know the altitude of where I am at.

I am going to go visit my Aunts house this weekend; she lives about 10 miles from me. She has cable, but I am going to ask to set up the same thing I got on one of her spare TV's.

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
dbtmellis, good information. Now we are missing one last piece. We really need a TVFool plot that is for your address, or better yet for your exact coordinates. To do coordinates go here first, Google Maps Latitude, Longitude Popup and if needed go to satellite view to find your apt building. Why be so exact? In an area with hills it's critical. Also on TVFool, be sure to put in 20 ft as your height. Also it's better to copy the link here so we can switch from all channels to just digital channels looking at your plot.

Actually the brick my be affecting you but with any antenna, in particular an indoor one, location is everything, just like the real estate people say, location, location, location and why it's critical in hills to pinpoint your location.

Even with just the zip code most of your stations are to the west, so a west window could be your key to reception. Try that if the antenna will reach. If it doesn't you can buy a short extension cable (5 to 15 ft) and a barrel connector to extend it's distance from the TV.

It would be good to show your aunt OTA TV signals, but probably 10 miles away in hills it will mean little toward your reception.

dbtmellis

DTVUSA Jr. Member
On the Google maps my Lat and Lon Coordinates are

Lat: 41.533720
Lon: -72.086760

There area I am at is not extremely hilly. I believe the average attitude is less than 100 Feet. I am only 12 miles away from the Long Island Sound and the Ocean.

The "hill" I talked about in my earlier post I believe is due north to me, looking at the satellite view of the map. That means my windows face due north as well.

Also to add, but sort of off topic, how often does Google update its maps? Where I used to live, sadly was burned to the ground back in April 2008. The map still shows the building, but there is nothing there anymore. It was completely destroyed.

Lat: 41.515952
Lon: -72.090236

Here is a link if interested in reading
Peachtree Apartments fire - Norwich, CT - Norwich Bulletin

Where I used to live I had DishNetwork satellite service, and I had excellent reception, even in bad weather.

Last edited:
On the Google maps my Lat and Lon Coordinates are

Lat: 41.533720
Lon: -72.086760

There area I am at is not extremely hilly. I believe the average attitude is less than 100 Feet. I am only 12 miles away from the Long Island Sound and the Ocean.

The "hill" I talked about in my earlier post I believe is due north to me, looking at the satellite view of the map. That means my windows face due north as well.

Also to add, but sort of off topic, how often does Google update its maps? Where I used to live, sadly was burned to the ground back in April 2008. The map still shows the building, but there is nothing there anymore. It was completely destroyed.

Lat: 41.515952
Lon: -72.090236

Here is a link if interested in reading
Peachtree Apartments fire - Norwich, CT - Norwich Bulletin

Where I used to live I had DishNetwork satellite service, and I had excellent reception, even in bad weather.
DB, are you sure you want that information on a public forum?