New York Broadcasters Test for DTV on 10/28/09

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Tuesday, October 28th, New York television broadcasters will test whether or not consumers are "DTV Ready" for for the transition to digital television. Analog signals for over-the-air, full-power broadcast stations will be scheduled for a soft shut-off at between 5:58 p.m. and 6:01 p.m. ET. The shut-off will simulate what non-ready, over-the-air consumers will experience should they not convert their televisions by February 17th, 2009.

The following TV stations are participating in the test:

WABC-TV (ABC, channel 7) WNYE-TV (NYC Media, channel 25)
WCBS-TV (CBS, channel 2) WNYW-TV (Fox, channel 5)
WFUT-TV (Univision, channel 68) WPIX-TV (TheCW, channel 11)
WLIW-TV (PBS, channel 21) WPXN-TV (ION Television, channel 31)
WNBC-TV (NBC, channel 4) WWOR-TV (MyNetworkTV, channel 9)
WNET-TV (PBS, channel 13) WXTV-TV (Univision, channel 41)
WNJU-TV (Telemundo, channel 47)
Sources: New York Broadcasters Test for DTV Readiness Tomorrow, Tuesday, October 28th - MarketWatch and New York broadcasters 2 minute DTV shut-off | TVConversionhelp.com

cycler

DTVUSA Member
I posted another question where I mentioned something about this. I lost all of my digital channels a couple of days before this test - no signal at all so when the test came on I was interested to see what it'd say about my TV.

My local CBS station did the test during the news and when it switched to digital for 2 minutes and it let you know if your TV was ready for the change and I got the message that my TV wasn't. I switched to DTV and Air while the test was going on to be sure.

It's odd because I've got a Samsung DTV and strong indoor antenna and I was getting all of the stations perfectly before this week.

I live in the city between a lot of buildings but my signal was really strong.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I posted another question where I mentioned something about this. I lost all of my digital channels a couple of days before this test - no signal at all so when the test came on I was interested to see what it'd say about my TV.

My local CBS station did the test during the news and when it switched to digital for 2 minutes and it let you know if your TV was ready for the change and I got the message that my TV wasn't. I switched to DTV and Air while the test was going on to be sure.

It's odd because I've got a Samsung DTV and strong indoor antenna and I was getting all of the stations perfectly before this week.

I live in the city between a lot of buildings but my signal was really strong.
Cycler, what kind of antenna do you own? Is it a powered antenna?

cycler

DTVUSA Member
It is a powered antenna - Terk brand. I was thinking that because I've got an open terrace I might get an outdoor antenna if there was a way of running the cord inside.

cycler

DTVUSA Member
No. I'm scanning every day and I've still got no DTV channels but the antenna is working for the analog. I called Samsung and they said that they'd send someone out if I still wasn't able to get any channels in a week or so but I don't know what they'd be able to do that I didn't.
I hope it's not the TV - I just bought it about 7 months ago.