New zodiac signs 2011: Why astrology is even sillier than we thought

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
If you look to your horoscope for a preview of your day, look again: You're probably following somebody else's supposed fate.Thanks to Earth's wobble, astrological signs are, well, bunk. (Or even more bunk than you might expect.) Astrological signs are determined by the position of the sun relative to certain constellations on a person's day of birth. The problem is, the positions were determined more than 2,000 years ago. Nowadays, the stars have shifted in the night sky so much that horoscope signs are nearly a month off.
I don't believe that it took this many centuries for this well know fact to be revealed. Astrology is bunk, Astronomy is science. What's even harder to believe is the number of people who refuse to believe the facts, and say the author is an idiot. Check the comments: there's some seriously deluded people out there.

New zodiac signs 2011: Why astrology is even sillier than we thought - CSMonitor.com

MrPogi

Staff member
Denial. Scientists are non believers out to get them. They even claim there is scientific "proof" - they claim that because the moon causes the tides, that the planets can affect our lives. Your spouse exerts a larger gravitational force on you than Mars.

dave73

DTVUSA Member
Based on this, I'm supposed to be a Virgo, but I don't act anything like a Virgo. I was born a Scorpio (based on the western astrological signs) & I fit that sign the most. I'm stubborn, hot tempered, hold grudges, can be sectretive, & can be unforgiving if someone does wrong to me. While I don't get into astrology 100%, I do like to read up on it once in a while. I never believe the general horoscopes as that's on the way the stars & planets are lined up today. For signs I feel are most compatible to me, I find for love, Virgo to be the most compatible sign for me, followed by Taurus & Cancer. Less compatible in love with Capricorn (despite astrologists telling me that Capricorn & Scorpio being the best match, most Capricorns & I don't get along at all), Sagittarius, & Gemini. For friendship, I seem to work best with Virgo, Gemini (most Geminis tell me that they normally don't get along with Scorpios, but usually get along with me though), Aries, Taurus, Cancer, & Libra. Less likely for friendship seem to be Sagittaius, Capricorn, Aquarius, & Leo (most Leos I meet don't keep secrets at all). Much of this isn't in stone, but what seems to work for me. Never understood why I'm drawn to Virgos the most, & most astrologists don't typically find that compatibility working.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
It's controversial among the astrologers, too. Many are saying there is no change because the drift was already taken into account. I'm rejecting the change and sticking with my original sign.

MrPogi

Staff member
In my astronomy 101 class, the first day of class a pretty co-ed asked "when do we learn to tell our horoscopes?" The teacher replied "this is ASTRONOMY. We learn facts about the universe here, not magic."
She and 5 more like her were gone the next day.

I had an English class where we removed the Zodiac Signs from the horoscopes and pasted different signs to the horoscope. The majority swore up and down that it was just like them. Some even wouldn't even believe even after the teacher produced the full page from today's newspaper. Horoscopes - ALL horoscopes - are written to be so generic that we see ourselves in them.

The comments I've found on the net are truly ignorant:
This Is STUPID, leave things alone already, your one sign for all your life then some so called scientist decides to change the DAMNED zodiac...........
Scientists didn't change the zodiac. Procession of the equinoxes changed it, it is a fact, and it's been happening for millions of years.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Your spouse exerts a larger gravitational force on you than Mars.
Pogi, by scientific definition you are absolutely spot-on. Years ago when I was working for The Mutual Broadcasting System in Crystal City, Virginia, I went to the Smithsonian Museum and they had a 'plumb-bob' hanging from their high ceiling on real-to-real magnetic tape. Under it was a zone filled with sand and the natural motion of planet Earth and gravitational 'pulls' from primarily the moon, caused the 'pendulum' to swing and draw beautiful patterns in the sand.

Mathematics and science explain and predicted the patterns drawn whereas astrology is just another substitute religeon for some, much like global warming. Nonsense.

Jim

phoenyxstarr

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I like to laugh at the horoscopes. My friend & I used to call them 'horror-scopes' in college because they were so wrong. Even taking into account her expected birthday instead of her actual one (she was 6 weeks early), they were still wrong. LOL

My daughter is always reading them though, like she's seriously going to find true love, massive riches, & peace on earth in her hororscope! Of course, she is only 14 so its typical teenage behavior from what my sister-in-laws tell me.