Newbe Needs antenna help RCA 3038xr

U

Unregistered

I decided to drop my cable service and go back to antenna . I still had a digital converter box I could use. I purchased the inexpensive $ 34.00 wa2608 claiming 150 mile range and was surprised that it does ok. I am in a bad location with one city with stations 30 miles and the other 69 miles. I can get 1 vhf and 1 uhf and a second uhf that works sometime from the 30 mile city . The antenna is outside and 30 ft high . I am in a low place with lots of trees. There are 3 more uhf channels from the 30 mile I don't get and I get zero from the 69 mile. I decided to order a 139.00 RCA 3038XR vhf/uhf on Ebay . The call that a 100 mile range . Here is the problem . I got the large antenna up on the pole. My signal on the vhf channel 13 went up from 18 on the small antenna to 30 on the large . I thought I was really going to bring in the channels but to my surprise that's the only station I can get from the 30 mile city with the large antenna. I turned the antenna to the 69 mile and channel 8 pbs comes in but thats all . How can it receive a signal from the 69 miles but fail on the other stations the small antenna picks up . It seems the problem is with the UHF channels . There is another pbs channel 29 . If I use the real channel number 7 it picks it up . I tried the antenna with and without the booster and it is the same . How is it I doubled my signal on channel 13 but not pick up channel 24 from the same city , the small antenna picks up 24 just fine? There are lots off uhf and vhf elements on the large antenna .

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
... How is it I doubled my signal on channel 13 but not pick up channel 24 from the same city , the small antenna picks up 24 just fine? There are lots off uhf and vhf elements on the large antenna .
Guest,

Welcome to FREE OTA reception! The 'signal strength' numbers on your TV set mean very little because it is actually a signal quality meter - and digital tuners have a hard time deciphering poor quality signals, regardless of their signal level.

A weak but clean datastream ALWAYS beats a strong dirty datastream.

Please post your Antenna Survey results for us to study: that website will automatically conceal your personal location: TV Fool

Jim