NFL Partners with CBS for Thursday Night Football

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The National Football League will team with CBS to produce and televise Thursday Night Football for the 2014 season, it was announced today by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, CBS Corp. President-CEO Leslie Moonves and CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus.

CBS will air eight early season games that also will be simulcast on NFL Network. NFL Network will also televise eight late-season games in the run-up to the playoffs. The mix of games will include 14 on Thursday nights and two late-season games on Saturday.

The agreement is for the 2014 season with an additional year at the NFL’s option. And while terms were not announced, Reuters reports that the bidding was less than $300 million, according to a person with knowledge of the bids. "Prices were lower than they might have been for such a prized property because the CBS games will simultaneously telecast on the NFL Network," according to Reuters.

The full slate of 16 regular-season games will be produced by CBS with its lead broadcasters and production team, including Jim Nantz and Phil Simms, on all Thursday night games. In a new twist, NFL Network hosts and analysts will be featured in the pregame, halftime and postgame shows along with CBS Sports announcers.
Read More: http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/73895/nfl-chooses-cbs-for-thursday-football

I was actually hoping that NBC would get it, so that my mom could watch. My parents only have NBC and FOX. It is on broadcast, and it sounds like the NFL wants to be on broadcast because of the larger potential audience. They are in the business of audience building.

Hmmmm, I wonder if you can figure out some online setup deal for her to be able to watch CBS? That just seems odd that you can't get her on CBS....normally around here, most people I run into who have an issue with getting a major network have that with Fox.

That is really strange and yes, the people who I have run into with not being able to get the big networks usually can't get FOX. I am really excited about Thursday Night Football. I like Jim Nantz and Phil Simms a lot better than the NFL Network announcing team.

Yeah, I guess it just depends on what part of the country, etc that you live in with regards to what networks are easier or more difficult to get over the air (OTA).
Totally agree through, Simms and Nantz are a great NFL announcing team!

Oh my friends...if the NFL could, they would subject us to M-Sunday games!!!! :) At least the tide has ebbed some and we only deal with Monday Night Football, Thursday Night Football, and Sundays!
Now, if we ever see a streaming company like Hulu or Netflix sign a deal with the NFL...I bet that service / company will take off...though I'm positive that our monthly price for the service will triple at a minimum!