No coaxial or A/V connector

eriggins

DTVUSA Rookie
I've tried two different converter boxes with no success. We are trying to connecto an old (approx 1983) TV that does not have A/V connections nor a coaxial input connector.

I went by the cable company and got an old cable connector which is used when a TV has no coaxial input and used it but this does not work. The connector is a cylinder that has 2 wires that connect to the antenna input on the TV.

Should this work ? Do I need a special connector or device to allow this old TV to work with the converter ?

Thanks.

Is this what you're referring to:

It's a 75-to-300-ohm adapter and should work just fine if you're trying to connect your converter box to the 300-ohm twin lead antenna input on your old TV. ;)

eriggins

DTVUSA Rookie
connector

The adapter shown in the photo is the adapter/connector I'm using. With one converter box, it says NO SIGNAL when turned on. The other converter box shows nothing. Both state that you should see some setup wizard when its installed.

On the converter, I've plugged the wire into the RF out. Should this work ? I wonder if perhaps the adapter is bad.

I've tried two different converter boxes with no success. We are trying to connecto an old (approx 1983) TV that does not have A/V connections nor a coaxial input connector.

I went by the cable company and got an old cable connector which is used when a TV has no coaxial input and used it but this does not work. The connector is a cylinder that has 2 wires that connect to the antenna input on the TV.

Should this work ? Do I need a special connector or device to allow this old TV to work with the converter ?

Thanks.
yes it should work. if it says no signal it means that it is not getting a signal from the antenna check to make sure that the coax running from the antenna is good. Twin lead or flat wire does not work if you have twin lead then you must change it to coax from the antenna to the converter box. also make sure the antenna is pointed right. with digital it is all or nothing. what type of antenna are you using and how far are you from the transmitters?

Last edited:

eriggins

DTVUSA Rookie
Antenna is probably the issue.

I tried with TV antenna connected and not connected. The TV antenna attaches to the same screws as the converter adapter does and I did not run a wire to the antenna input on converter box.

Do I need to run separate wire from converter box to antenna input ? Or...do I need to buy an external antenna ?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Antenna is probably the issue.

I tried with TV antenna connected and not connected. The TV antenna attaches to the same screws as the converter adapter does and I did not run a wire to the antenna input on converter box.

Do I need to run separate wire from converter box to antenna input ? Or...do I need to buy an external antenna ?
Yes, and maybe. You'll probably need a cheap adapter for your antenna to connect to your converter box since the antenna uses the two leads style connection. There's no gaurentee that it'll will work well for DTV, but it's worth a shot, and I'm sure you can find that adapter for less than a $1.00 at Radio Shack.

You may need to step up to a powered antenna designed for UHF/VHF DTV reception, but I'd hold off until you test out your current antenna.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a picture of the connecter you'll need for your antenna to plug into your converter box.

It's called a Coaxial Cable Push-On Balun 75 Ohm - 300 Ohm Adapter.

eriggins

DTVUSA Rookie
This is good information but I'd like to be sure I understand.

I need a connection from the RFout uses a coaxial cable to a 75-to-300-ohm adapter which attaches to the antenna screws.

The antenna in uses a coaxial cable to Coaxial Cable Push-On Balun 75 Ohm - 300 Ohm Adapter which would then be attached to the same antenna screws as the RF out.

Is this correct ?

This is good information but I'd like to be sure I understand.

I need a connection from the RFout uses a coaxial cable to a 75-to-300-ohm adapter which attaches to the antenna screws.

The antenna in uses a coaxial cable to Coaxial Cable Push-On Balun 75 Ohm - 300 Ohm Adapter which would then be attached to the same antenna screws as the RF out.

Is this correct ?
the Antenna coax or wire connects to the antenna in on the converter box the to tv on the converter box connects to the tv. the antenna does not connect directly to the tv. but goes through the converter box.:)