no need to touch the converter box?

Is there a DTV converter out there that, rather than making me put my TV on Ch 3 or video in, and then having me change channels on the box, instead just maps all the available stations onto existing analog channels, either automatically, or through a menu?

I don't think I understand what you're saying but all boxes have a scan feature that picks up and maps all your stations into a list and then you use the remote to flip through them.

I want it to re-broadcast all the stations is finds. I want it to take n ATSC signals, and translate them into n NTSC signals. I want to forget the box exists most of the time, and use my ReplayTV (without IR control of the box) or analog TV to change stations.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Welcome to the forum. You cannot have the channels mapped directly to your old TV. You need to select the channels by changing them using the converter box remote.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I want it to re-broadcast all the stations is finds. I want it to take n ATSC signals, and translate them into n NTSC signals. I want to forget the box exists most of the time, and use my ReplayTV (without IR control of the box) or analog TV to change stations.
Welcome YitzHandel,
It's not possible to map any channels from you dgital-to-analog tuner to your TV tuner. Are you trying to accomplish using less remote controls to turn everything on/off and control?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I'm quite sure YitzHandel is trying to set up the replaytv and a converter to allow the replay to IR blast the converter. This way his replay timers change the channel and record from his preset program list. I'll post back with more information when I get off the phone with customer service at replaytv.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Is there a DTV converter out there that, rather than making me put my TV on Ch 3 or video in, and then having me change channels on the box, instead just maps all the available stations onto existing analog channels, either automatically, or through a menu?
I haven't been able to contact customer service yet, but I've done some research on the replaytv. You can use the Apex 250 and the IR blaster code #7470 or Dish Network Pal Plus with the IR blaster code 775A.
Which model replay are you trying to connect? I'll follow up with my full findings.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
I think you're trying to "multicast" like they used to do in some apartments. (Many have switched to cable instead of having to deal with the transition, or having lots of satelite dishes sticking out of the patios.) There is no single processor powerful enough yet that can tune in all of those stations, all at once. You'd have to get a multicast system, and fit each channel with their own individual converter boxes, and set the assigned output you want the channel to appear on. Expensive. You got money like that lying around?

Piggie

Super Moderator
I think you're trying to "multicast" like they used to do in some apartments. (Many have switched to cable instead of having to deal with the transition, or having lots of satelite dishes sticking out of the patios.) There is no single processor powerful enough yet that can tune in all of those stations, all at once. You'd have to get a multicast system, and fit each channel with their own individual converter boxes, and set the assigned output you want the channel to appear on. Expensive. You got money like that lying around?
A buddy of mine in another forum, just did the apt building he maintains for DTV.

He simply bought a bunch of off the shelf CECB and used translator modules to put them on the frequency he wanted. Then feed that into the old Master TV system in the apt building. Thus the residents get an analog feed of all the DTV in the area. I don't think he did subchannels, just the main ones.

After much research between him, myself, and an couple of other broadcast engineers it was the best and cheapest way to go to get the best signal. The translators were a little more expensive than modulators but gave a better picture (saved one more conversion).

==

As an aside, I talked to one of the local chiefs that has an analog translator for one of his main channels subchannels. Why he uses the sub, is a long story. But his main channel is CBS (WGFL) and his sub is MyNet. He has a CH 45 translator that shows MyNet. He has a yagi pointed at the main site and had a commercial digital to analog converter box there to modulate his translator. When the Insignia's came out he took one of his to the translator, and had a better looking picture!

A lot of analog translators are doing that now. Cheaper, better picture.
He went back to the store and bought 3 more and also the original as spares, but the Insignia keeps on ticking, 24 hours a day now for over a year.

An easier way to use one remote for recording would be to get a Panasonic DMR-EZ (27, 28, 47, 48) even a broken one on eBay with a bad DVD drive or busted video tape would be great for just watching both digital and analog.

Yes - multicast is what I meant

Yes - multicast is what I meant
Yeah - I guess it would need to tune all the stations at once.
I could imagine a co-op where everybody got their $40 x 2 coupons and then made all the stations and then piped it through an analog cable. Oh well.

And I just got a DVR instead of trying to get my Replay to work with it all - back in the day I loved my Replay because I'd upload shows and burn them to DVD. Less needed in the days of Hulu, network streaming shows, NetFlix, etc.

I haven't hooked up to my long-ignored roof antenna yet. Using rabbit ears, I notice once the signal is <65%, I get missed frames / sputtered signal. I prefer snow to that.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Using rabbit ears, I notice once the signal is <65%, I get missed frames / sputtered signal. I prefer snow to that.
Ugh. I've seen that mess. Some boxes and DVRs have a large memory buffer that attempts to recover the missing data by checking the image stream's past 3 seconds, and reconstructs the image stream from the data. Less sputtering, only a few off-color pixels that vanish quickly.

A lot of boxes out there cut out a lot of the memory, unfortunately.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Ugh. I've seen that mess. Some boxes and DVRs have a large memory buffer that attempts to recover the missing data by checking the image stream's past 3 seconds, and reconstructs the image stream from the data. Less sputtering, only a few off-color pixels that vanish quickly.

A lot of boxes out there cut out a lot of the memory, unfortunately.
I wonder if that is the bigger difference in my Toshiba TV (circa 2005 design) and the DTVPal Plus I hooked to it. You can't go by signal level as the Toshiba shows the UHF with higher numbers than the DTVPal Plus. But the opposite on VHF, having higher numbers than the Toshiba.

Bottom line is the drops on VHF are mush less offensive on the DTVPal Plus than the internal Toshiba tuner.

One thing tht amazed me when I took it out of the box was how much smaller a DTVPal Plus is than an Insignia. My Insignia doesn't have analog pass through, is why I bought a Pal Plus. I actually use the Pal Plus for digital pass through, as the internal tuner does widescreen broadcasts better than the Pal Plus that wasn't even designed to hook to a widescreen TV.