No Signal, No Help

csdennis

DTVUSA Rookie
I have a rooftop antenna which is about 16ft high with an antenna booster which we need for our local news stations. We also have satellite tv service for all other channels. We picked up the converter boxes and hooked them up and we get no signal. We had perfectly good reception before but with the boxes, nothing. All we get is a message saying " weak signal" or "No signal". I emailed the DTV questions page and they said that we had to have an unobstructed view of the signal and it only ranges about 50-70 mile. We live in a rural area of West Virginia and there are plently of obstructions, so basically we are out of luck. My question is how are we supposed to get important local news broadcasts? My satellite provider only allows us channels out of New York City, alot of good that will do us. Isn't there a law saying that we should have access to local news?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Is your Antenna equipped with a rotator? It's possible that you're antenna is only designed to receive UHF channels, rather than VHF. What does your antenna look like, or better yet, do you have a manufacture and model number you can post?

I have a rooftop antenna which is about 16ft high with an antenna booster which we need for our local news stations. We also have satellite tv service for all other channels. We picked up the converter boxes and hooked them up and we get no signal. We had perfectly good reception before but with the boxes, nothing. All we get is a message saying " weak signal" or "No signal". I emailed the DTV questions page and they said that we had to have an unobstructed view of the signal and it only ranges about 50-70 mile. We live in a rural area of West Virginia and there are plently of obstructions, so basically we are out of luck. My question is how are we supposed to get important local news broadcasts? My satellite provider only allows us channels out of New York City, alot of good that will do us. Isn't there a law saying that we should have access to local news?
Go to tvfool.com and put in your address this will give you an idea of stations and their strength and distance. it will also tell you if they are UHF or VHF or Both.if they are UHF and you have a Vhf antenna you will get no digital channels but will pickup Vhf analog channels. also what pre amp and antenna are you using after about 10 years an antenna 's ablity to recieve diminishes. and being that UHF signals are weaker than Vhf analog then you may need to put up a new antenna. see the deep fringe prescription in the DTV reception tread for a good deep fringe setup. all can be had from solidsignal.com

csdennis

DTVUSA Rookie
Yes my antenna does have a rotor. My antenna is a Radio Shack model VU-160XR, it is a VHF/UHF/FM antenna. My power booster is also a VHF/UHF.
Just sitting here thinking, should the converter box be hooked up on the incoming side of booster or the outgoing side of it?

Yes my antenna does have a rotor. My antenna is a Radio Shack model VU-160XR, it is a VHF/UHF/FM antenna. My power booster is also a VHF/UHF.
Just sitting here thinking, should the converter box be hooked up on the incoming side of booster or the outgoing side of it?
the converter should be on the output side of the amp. is this a pre amp mounted on the antenna or a distribution amp located in the house, if the amps are radio shack they are known for high noise and that can do damage to a digital signal. remove the amp all together if it is a distribution amp and see what happens. if you need an amp use a good pre amp that mounts on the antenna mast wine guard and channel master make good low noise pre amps.:)

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
My antenna setup

No place else to put it, but...

My first antenna was the EZ-Dish antenna Warepark - Product Info: EZ DISH EZD-106 LOCAL TV ANTENNA FOR DBS SYSTEMS AFLR It worked great until Wi-fi started killing the reception.

I shopped around and on eBAY direct from China, I got this A-Neutronics AV-891 Import Best Buys, FTA Satellite, Computer, Car Audio and Home Theater's Although remote control system had issues (buttons made no difference, rotation direction mechanism was terrible) Also having the infrared port turned on in my laptop made the thing wiggle like heck as it responded to the signal. Despite those problems, it has a wonderful signal booster. I decided to move it into the attic.

As the household is getting ready for DTV, I decided to replace the A-Neutronic's antenna with a regular color TV antenna. So I tore the A-Neutronics antenna apart, leaving only the power injector and signal booster. I then attached the color TV antenna to the box. Mind you, this was all set up in the huge attic of this house, so the antenna mess was out of sight. It works well for the analog and digital stations. A splitter works wonderfully in sharing this to all three TVs in the house.

So that's what I have.