no tv at midnight.

furby82

DTVUSA Jr. Member
our analog went out at midnight last nite. We were prepared with the converter box but we only recieve PBS with our phillips bunny ears. We bought a more expensive 40 dollar dtv antenna and it made no difference. i did the tvfool thing and we got no chans in the green.

TV Fool

i dunno what to do. i've moved the antennas all around the apartment in different rooms, near windows, up high, down low and all of that and still no luck. its kinda hard to get a outdoor antenna cuz i'm on the top floor of a apartment building at the moment. any sugestions???? id love to be able to watch tv again! :p
:violin:

Last edited:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. What CECB do you have connected to the TV? Do you get and can you see the onscreen menu? Have you done a channel scan recently?
our analog went out at midnight last nite. We were prepared with the converter box but we only recieve PBS with our phillips bunny ears. We bought a more expensive 40 dollar dtv antenna and it made no difference. i did the tvfool thing and we got no chans in the green.

TV Fool

i dunno what to do. i've moved the antennas all around the apartment in different rooms, near windows, up high, down low and all of that and still no luck. its kinda hard to get a outdoor antenna cuz i'm on the top floor of a apartment building at the moment. any sugestions???? id love to be able to watch tv again! :p
:violin:

gilloz

DTVUSA Jr. Member
It appears that you somehow have to mount an outdoor antenna pointed in the direction of the TV station transmitters in order to receive the Digital signal. Trying to get the Digital signal is not as easy as it was with the Analog signal. I do not believe there is anything wrong with your DTV box. It just needs a high level input signal to function properly. I would start with your antenna first.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
its usually just above or right on 1/3 but it jumps up and down a lot.
It sounds like a simple low signal problem. What antenna are you using?
EDIT: Double check your connections. Make sure the cable from the antenna in connected to the input on the back of you TV.

Last edited:

furby82

DTVUSA Jr. Member
yep its connected i'm using a Phillips Magnavox: mant 300
i only get 10 when the amp is turned all the way up.
we also tried a Phillips: Indoor HD antenna SDV2710/27
but it was worse then the mant 300 so we went back to it and returned the SDV2710 to the store.

Last edited:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
yep its connected i'm using a Phillips Magnavox: mant 300
i only get 10 when the amp is turned all the way up.
we also tried a Phillips: Indoor HD antenna SDV2710/27
but it was worse then the mant 300 so we went back to it and returned the SDV2710 to the store.
Channel 10 is almost 47 miles away and it's VHF. :pop2:

Wonder why you're receiving that one, and none of the other ones that are less than 7 miles from your house. Anybody think it could be signal overload? If you get a chance, try unplugging the MANT 300 power supply from the wall but keeping it connected to the TV and try another rescan.

There's no 'network' listed on those stations, meaning 1) they may be down for awhile or 2) they could be just repeaters or translators. i have two, one's known as WTSN-LP, a analog translator for NyNetwork TV, and W3BK, and it too shows no network. i believe it may be a translator of some sort but of unknown origin.

Your 'Big Three' (CBS/PBS/etc) are 40-something miles away.

The Insignia box is the same as the Zenith DTT-901. if the meter is 'jumping back and forth' from red to green and sometimes it will 'give up' and peg red, it's usually due to bad connections somewhere. whether the signal is weak or not, it should have a steady average somewhere. fluctuations mean bad connections usually. or wind/weather.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
tried the scan when it was unplugged and it whipped thru it and found nothing new.
This is most likely a signal issue. Lets go back to the basics. Can you use a cable from the antenna to the CECB other than the able you have been trying? Make sure you have physically seen both ends of the cable you use. Do not assume a cable in the wall is sufficient to work for this setup. The cable may be a problem. Set the antenna in one spot away from any electrical appliance that may cause interference. Do not move the antenna around seeking a signal. Do not plug the amplifier into an outlet. Carefully connect everything as it shows in the instructions. Do not assume it is correct. Do a channel scan and post your signal strength and channel results here. The signal sounds to be under driven? Something is either connected improperly or you have a bad connection. Don't assume anything and I believe this will work out.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Channel 10 is almost 47 miles away and it's VHF. :pop2:

Wonder why you're receiving that one, and none of the other ones that are less than 7 miles from your house. Anybody think it could be signal overload? If you get a chance, try unplugging the MANT 300 power supply from the wall but keeping it connected to the TV and try another rescan.

Ah, I see the problem.

1) on Jay's plot he is showing the image of all channels. All means digital and analog.

2) The first 11 stations are all analog

3) An Insignia NS-DXA1-APT has analog pass-through but it can't receive analog.

4) All the digital stations are very far away, why there are so many translators where the OP lives.

=================

Hence since they can't put up an outdoor antenna, they need to put the Insignia NS-DXA1-APT in by pass mood, unless they want to watch Ch 10

Actually if they don't care about that channel they can disconnect the converter box and tune the translators on the TV.

Probably a good antenna would be the Newegg.com - TERK HDTVa Amplified Directional Indoor HDTV Antenna a TERK HDTVa

Note that all the translators are UHF, where the TerkA excells according to reviews, and the new versions as show also have rabbit ears, so they can turn on their converter box and watch PBS digital.

========

so even before buying yet another antenna, just simply turn off the converter box and try tuning the top 11 channels shown in Jay's posted image of your plot.