Question: Noob seeking advice

powersmo

DTVUSA Rookie
Hey all. New to the forums and website and looking for assistance. My family and I live in Clarksville TN which is north west of Nashville about 50 to 60 miles. We turned in the cable boxes for our two hdtv's today and decided to use our Netflix account as well as a few other internet supported tv and movie sites. We would like to put up a DTV antenna but have several ant hills to crawl over first.

First, we live in a 2 story home with a about a half story below grade in the back due to the garage. Second, we have to deal with an HOA which will allow external antenna as long as they don't exceed 3 feet above the roof line. Most homes in our town have either Dish, Direct or cable. There are no antenna installers in our area at all.

I wanted to use the existing cable runs from the cable company to our tv's in the house if possible. The issue I have with external antennas is getting it to an appropriate height to get good signal receipt. To get to the roof on the back of the house will take about a 30 ft ladder. As for getting into the best position in the attic for a internal antenna, it will need to go to the far end of the attic from the access door and the RG6 run through the soffet to hook up to the old cable box on the wall.

But, first things first. I have created my TV Fool report and it the exact address but I didn't specify a height since I am not sure where I will be best able to place the antenna. So I would appreciate suggestions on antenna make and model to begin. I appreciate it and am glad I found this website.
[URL="http://Hey all. New to the forums and website and looking for assistance. My family and I live in Clarksville TN which is north west of Nashville about 50 to 60 miles. We turned in the cable boxes for our two hdtv's today and decided to use our Netflix account as well as a few other internet supported tv and movie sites. We would like to put up a DTV antenna but have several ant hills to crawl over first. First, we live in a 2 story home with a about a half story below grade in the back due to the garage. Second, we have to deal with an HOA which will allow external antenna as long as they don't exceed 3 feet above the roof line. Most homes in our town have either Dish, Direct or cable. There are no antenna installers in our area at all. I wanted to use the existing cable runs from the cable company to our tv's in the house if possible. The issue I have with external antennas is getting it to an appropriate height to get good signal receipt. To get to the roof on the back of the house will take about a 30 ft ladder. As for getting into the best position in the attic for a internal antenna, it will need to go to the far end of the attic from the access door and the RG6 run through the soffet to hook up to the old cable box on the wall. But, first things first. I have created my TV Fool report and it the exact address but I didn't specify a height since I am not sure where I will be best able to place the antenna. So I would appreciate suggestions on antenna make and model to begin. I appreciate it and am glad I found this website.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e2cbd645f03525

You will need a moderate gain antenna that covers both high VHF, and UHF frequencies as your signals are not predicted to be real strong. I would suggest a Winegard HD7694P, or HD7697P. I did not over look the presence of the WTVF signal on low VHF channel 5. The same signal is also transmitted on channel 25 UHF which should make a larger low VHF antenna unnecessary.
Federal FCC rules override anything your HOA has to say about TV antenna installation.
https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/installing-consumer-owned-antennas-and-satellite-dishes
You can go 12 feet above roof line before a building permit is required. The 39.37 inch rule applies to satellite dishes not the size of OTA TV antennas.
I've gotten too old to climb a 30 foot ladder but I'd like to get over that, and still not get hurt.
Using existing cable system can sometimes result in a trouble shooting wire chasing mess. Always start with one coax to one TV. At the start of your adventure into OTA reception you need to be establishing reliable signal first not trying to diagnose splitter and coax loss.