Northern Wisconsin reception times

We have a cabin in the woods in Northern Wisconsin, in the past we got some reception, 3 channels through analog but now with our convertor box, and substantial rooftop antenna we get nothing, our neighbor also get no reception. Only on two occasions did we get 5 stations about midnight, they were gone in the morning. Not sure what to think??? We do have large trees close by, but the stations coming in at late hours doesn't seem to make sense, there were no storms or weather issues that I know of. Any help here is much appreciated, as we'll be up again soon! Thanks.

mr. rukus

DTVUSA Jr. Member
hey north, need to know some more about your location. go to tv fool.com or antenna web and enter your specifics, and one of out here should be able to help. also type of antenna being used?

mr. rukus

DTVUSA Jr. Member
also check with antennapointe.com. that site will give ageneral direction and station availabilty near your cabin. what you have a starting point and general idea of what you have to work with, it's a lot easier!

Thanks for those sites, we have a uhf, vhf antenna - a big one about 7 feet wide, on the roof- about 16 feet up. The thing that confuses me is why we got stations at midnight and not other times? Seemingly unrelated to weather. Thanks for any insight.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Thanks for those sites, we have a uhf, vhf antenna - a big one about 7 feet wide, on the roof- about 16 feet up. The thing that confuses me is why we got stations at midnight and not other times? Seemingly unrelated to weather. Thanks for any insight.
As O-O points out read the link. I hope I kept it simple. Basically, certain weather conditions that don't appear different to the naked eye cause radio waves to bend back to Earth, so you see stations that are normally over the horizon. Otherwise these stations signals at you location are way above you exiting into outer space. The inversion bends them back down at your antenna.
===================

If you have us a TVFool.com plot we could be more specific at your options.
Also being you are in the woods, address system at TVFool.com doesn't work that well so it best to go to Google Maps Latitude, Longitude Popup and get as close to your house even using satellite view. Then click on it and use the coordinates in TVFool.com

Also enter that your antenna height is 16 feet as you stated.

Then post the link in bold back here so we can evaluate.

===

You said you have an antenna that is 7 feet wide and it's UHF/VHF. Do you know how long it is?

Also how long is the cable from your antenna to the TV and how long has it been there?

Do you use any kind of an amp between the antenna and the TV?

We are here to help you improve your antenna system if it's possible.