Not enough DTV signal?

Todd

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I got the DTV PAL from Dish Network. Set it up and only got channel 30 on auto channel find. After several scans, I got channel 7 in DC one day, but gone now. My setup is a roof antenna Discovery D-9800 about 9 yrs old. Rotor, antenna mounted amp plus an indoor distribution amp.(4tap) Antenna about 32 foot above ground on roof. Trees are taller than antenna. I currently get Washington DC analog channels 4,5,7,9 perfect. Analog 20, 22,26,32,50 barely if at all. I can get some Richmond, VA if I swing antenna around. I would like to determine how to get Washington, DC digitally. Might be tough to get much more height, but new antenna could be done. Could anyone provide suggestions? Fredericksburg, VA 22406

I got the DTV PAL from Dish Network. Set it up and only got channel 30 on auto channel find. After several scans, I got channel 7 in DC one day, but gone now. My setup is a roof antenna Discovery D-9800 about 9 yrs old. Rotor, antenna mounted amp plus an indoor distribution amp.(4tap) Antenna about 32 foot above ground on roof. Trees are taller than antenna. I currently get Washington DC analog channels 4,5,7,9 perfect. Analog 20, 22,26,32,50 barely if at all. I can get some Richmond, VA if I swing antenna around. I would like to determine how to get Washington, DC digitally. Might be tough to get much more height, but new antenna could be done. Could anyone provide suggestions? Fredericksburg, VA 22406
ok type of antenna UHF, VHF or combination some areas all of the digital stations are UHF if so and your antenna is VHf there is the problem 2-13 are VHF Channels for the analog 14-69 are UHf , next how far are you from transmitters put your address into TV Fool - Home and it will give you the channels directions and strength of each station. give us this info and we can make a better guess as to what is going on.

Did I provide sufficient detail for you to assist me? thanks
Todd
you will have both vhf and UHf if this is your post transition results. so you will need a UHF and a VHF antenna. however most combo antennas are strong in one area and weak in the other. so I recommend a two antenna set up. a good UHF stacked 4 foot over a good VHF antenna using a channel master titan 7777 pre amp to combine the signals into the one coax to the tv. this should give you good results. for UHF I recommend these Antennas Direct 91XG for 70+ miles or the Antenna Craft U8000 for 60 to 65 mile range. for VHF I recommend the Winegard YA1713 VHF Antenna. you have many stations all around you and if you want all of them you would need a rotator Channel Master 9521a rotator but if you can get all you need from the cluster to your north east you can just point the antennas in that direction. the pre amp should give you enough to push the signal to two or three tvs with no problem. place the top antenna about twenty feet from the ground. try without the distribution amp first as you can overload the digital signal and can hurt you more than help, to much is as bad as to little with digital.

Last edited:

Todd

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Not enough signal

I have added the UHF antenna xg-91 4' over my existing vhf/uhf. Drug a converter and small tv up on the roof where I could evaluate from the source. Only got a few channels from DC. Not the ones I wanted. Anyway, I suspect the fact that my surrounding trees are taller than my antenna by 20' is killing my UHF. I did evaluate each antenna separately input to the converter. I am not sure if the Titan 7777 would provide any extra benefit since I have a tree issue too? For me to get above the trees from the ground, I suspect I need a 60' plus tower. Not really the way I want to go. Towers aren't particularly cheap. Would the preamp be worth a shot? Thanks, Todd
:violin:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Todd, go back to TV Fool, and do a post transition plot, and they improved the site, you can now just copy the link in bold back here.

Piggie

Super Moderator
There is no doubt a CM7777 would help from your plot.

Plus putting the XG91 in parallel with a V/U combo can cause a lot of unwanted patterns.

To really try the XG separately the combo antenna needs to be removed.

Or separated but 5 feet at least. The CM7777 has separate V/U inputs that will help separate the antennas also on UHF. But still too close together the combo can mess up the pattern of the XG because the V/U has UHF resonant elements. 5 feet apart two UHF antennas hardly see each other.

Todd

DTVUSA Jr. Member
cm7777 or 78

Just looking at the Channel Master site. They indicate the 7777 model could be over driven by strong signals. I am wondering if channel 30 would pose an overdrive situation to the amp? I get channel 30 no problem without any amp. Channel 30 is in the general direction(7 degrees away) of my Washington DC channels that I am trying to receive. They reference the 7778 if overdriving is a risk. Any thoughts? Thanks to all for your help.:confused: