Question: Not getting all the channels

The Noof

DTVUSA Rookie
I recently put up a RCA TV antenna (model number ANT3036WR) but I couldn’t get all the stations I wanted. All stations are approximately 30 miles away. I live in a wooded area. The antenna is about 30 feet off the ground.

The antenna is pointing north towards the stations. At first I would only pick up the weak power stations. The following I don’t understand, the weak stations 12.6 and 30kW, come in great. The more powerful ones 90, 813, and 1000kW will not come in.

I then installed a channel master 7777 pre-amp. When I auto program, my tv finds the other higher power stations but they barely come in.

Help please.

Please post a TV Fool report so we can assist you. You can paste the URL from your address bar after you complete it, and we can get to it from there.

It appears from your description you may be picking up VHF stations, but are having difficulty with UHF. VHF generally broadcasts at lower power, while UHF requires much greater power to reach the same distances. We won't know anything for sure until you post your TV Fool report, but that's my quick impression.

Okay, so here's a couple of things I've picked up over the short time I've been on this forum. Others will have a greater wealth of knowledge than me.

1) It appears that your antenna is directional, and you have signal coming in from every direction. With a directional antenna, the signal degrades as you turn away from it. At 40 degrees, what should be great signal can be unreadable by your tuner. So if you're pointing due north, you're probably not getting a good signal from WTTG 36 (5.1).
2) I don't know the quality of your antenna, but you have line-of-sight (LOS) from broadcast stations, so you shouldn't need a fantastic antenna. Check to see if you have something in your cable runs, such as signal splitters (especially if they're not being used), poor quality cable, or corrosion on your connections.
3) Your antenna is 30 feet off the ground, but how high is that in relation to the surrounding terrain, or the mass of the trees nearby? A couple of feet up or down could make a big difference in signal quality.

It's not the power of the signal. You need signal strength for your tuner to work, and to push the signal through your cable runs, but the quality of that signal makes a much bigger difference in your experience.

The Noof

DTVUSA Rookie
“2) I don't know the quality of your antenna, but you have line-of-sight (LOS) from broadcast stations, so you shouldn't need a fantastic antenna. Check to see if you have something in your cable runs, such as signal splitters (especially if they're not being used), poor quality cable, or corrosion on your connections.

3) Your antenna is 30 feet off the ground, but how high is that in relation to the surrounding terrain, or the mass of the trees nearby? A couple of feet up or down could make a big difference in signal quality.”

2)The coaxial RG6 from the antenna is brand new and I used Klein compression connectors. there is one splitter for two TVs.

3)See photos
http://img.gg/kFO7NAB

Last edited: