Not getting VHF ABC

blacksox

DTVUSA Rookie
My TV Fool Info
TV Fool

I have an RCA ANT751R antenna pointed at Mt. Wilson and installed on my roof.

I get CBS, NBC and FOX, but I'm not getting ABC (no signal). I appreciate the help getting ABC.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: blacksox,

KABC is transmitting on real channel 7 (high-band VHF) and there should be plenty of signal available, but it is possible your tuner is receiving too much signal and it is being overloaded. The signal may be arriving at your antenna from more than one direction such as a reflection off of a sky scraper: this is what caused 'ghosts' on analog TV sets, but it confuses digital tuners.

Your first best option is to change your antenna height up OR down a foot or two and rescan your tuner: that may solve your reception problem. If it doesn't, try moving your antenna a few feet to the right (rescan)to the left (rescan) forward / backward and up and down at each new location -- rescanning every time you move it.

It may be time consuming and frustrating but the odds are you will eventually find the 'sweet-stop' to locate your antenna. Digital TV reception can be a mixture of black magic and pixie dust, but the effort you put into it is well worth the trouble. Good luck and please keep us posted on your results.

Jim

blacksox

DTVUSA Rookie
I moved the antenna all over the place and never got a signal. At least with the FOX channel, which is also VHF, I can get it to show a signal, but it is pixelated. I also tried a different monitor with a tuner with no difference. Is it possible that the antenna is no good? I don't understand this since ABC is the strongest signal per the TVFool site.

Thanks,
blacksox

Fringe Reception

Staff member
blacksox,

Did you do a new 'rescan' EVERY time you moved your antenna? If you didn't rescan on every move --- start again using what I wrote to you above in post #2. Move your antenna and rescan -- move it again and rescan. ETC. There IS a sweet-spot that you will eventually find. Up / down / right / left / forward / back. It is Black Magic and pixie dust - but when you hit home, the results are awesome. Don't give up.

Jim

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
blacksox, digital tuners don't know what channels are available until they 'scan for channels' or in your case, a channel is added manually - BUT - the tuner will not remember the new channel until it establishes a solid or clear data stream for a few seconds. If you have received that channel (with pixilated video) your tuner may or may not remember it is there: if the station 'comes and goes' your tuner knows it is there and you can stop rescanning and concentrate on different antenna locations or different antennas. Many tuners don't allow channels to be added manually, so you have it easy compared to others!

There are four possibilities: either you have very little signal to work with (unlikely), you are receiving too much signal which is overloading your tuner, you are receiving a damaged stream of data or you have too much signal and a damaged stream of data. Without using professional signal analysis tools, there is no way to know for certain.

Have you tried your antenna way lower, at ground level? Sometimes a clean signal is found in the most unlikely places. Regarding your antenna, as long as it is collecting other channels, it is working. I know its frustrating but keep trying your antenna in different locations.

It took me three summers to finally establish dependable reception of four channels only a mile away from me. I tested around 16 different antennas and finally found the best one. In my case, there was too much signal from those million watt blow-torch transmitters and multipath (reflected signals) that were confusing my tuner. This may be the same problem you have. I ended up using an old-style (discontinued) Channel Master 4221 which is a screen-type antenna that blocks reflected signals from its rear. There are several similar antennas currently available that might be worth trying. Do not buy an amplified antenna. Check your local Craigslist under 'electronics'/ 'antenna' and you might find something, cheap.

Jim