Not Quite Unplugged

dkreichen1968

Staff member
From The Article:
SEBRING - A couple of years ago, Judith Greenley had an epiphany: Why pay for channels she wasn't watching? She just wanted ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX.

So she dropped her cable subscription and studied TV antennas. Sebring is in the center of a TV-market fringe, receiving signals from Orlando, Tampa, Fort Myers and even Palm Beach. She already had a TV tower, so Greenley trotted down to Radio Shack and selected an antenna with a rotor, a converter box, and voila'!

"I have a beautiful picture, over 60 channels, and best of all, it's free," she said.

Greenley is among the latter-day Luddites who are off the paid-TV grid but still on the air. Some don't feel the need for ESPN, CNN and 24-hour networks. Others are pinching pennies in the New Economy.
Read More: Not quite unplugged

How does saving money while using the latest technology make you a Luddite? Seems people that are still hooked up to cable are the real Luddites.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Cable is SO 1980's.

And NO, I don't want my MTV. (I have The CoolTV)

The TRUE Luddites? This ignorant couple:
However, not everyone likes TV antennas.
"I think they look terrible," said an email from Jim and Sue Abercrombie. "I live at Highlands Ridge, and they have appeared there. They are so tall and remind me of high power lines in your yard."
Well, La-di-freakin' da! We doesn't like them!

(Tip for Abercrombie and B!tch: Your nose is pointed too high in the air. If you stop that, you won't even notice the antennas!)

Last edited:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I'm not really fond of antennas either. Of course, since mine has issues that may be clouding my perspective. lol

Signed me ... who has never heard of Luddites and still doesn't know who or what they are.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Cable is SO 1980's.

And NO, I don't want my MTV. (I have The CoolTV)

The TRUE Luddites? This ignorant couple:
However, not everyone likes TV antennas. Well, La-di-freakin' da! We doesn't like them!

(Tip for Abercrombie and B!tch: Your nose is pointed too high in the air. If you stop that, you won't even notice the antennas!)
To the average joe like me, antennas aren't pretty but I know they're functional, so I "put up with them". There's a house in my neighborhood that has a towering antenna...probably 30' tall for some reason. It sticks out like a sore thumb. That to me, is over the top, especially when I can receive 99% of our local channels with an indoor antenna.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
To the average joe like me, antennas aren't pretty but I know they're functional, so I "put up with them". There's a house in my neighborhood that has a towering antenna...probably 30' tall for some reason. It sticks out like a sore thumb. That to me, is over the top, especially when I can receive 99% of our local channels with an indoor antenna.
But, does it really hurt in any way? Like, do the neighbor's eyes bleed, or does their property value plummet?

Indeed, some people's installations are over the top and excessive. I have a house down the road that has a big old VHF-lo antenna on a guy-wired 10+ foot mast, and it's missing elements. I'm sure it's not used, because none of our channels need a VHF antenna anymore, and below that VHF antenna is a newer UHF antenna on the same mast. That's pure lazy, it would take 10 minutes to remove the VHF and trim the mast. But, it's not hurting anyone. (at least until it topples over in a windstorm)

Well maybe it's hurting OTA TV - when people see that big old antenna falling apart, it perpetuates the "antennas are ugly" myth.

Last edited: