Nothing special

LAdude84

DTVUSA Rookie
I've been looking at these converter boxes for awhile and every place seems to be out of them or has the lamest brands. My local Rite Aid had 2 brands in stock, so I started with the AccessHD box. That one picked up a lot of channels, had a really nice user interface, and seemed to be decent overall. The problem with the AccessHD box was that it would get hot very quickly and signal would drop to nothing. Also I had to move the antenna around to pick up the various local channels, which was annoying because in one position, I'd gain channels, but the slightest move I'd lose the others. In addition picture quality was not much better than analog and a lot of static was present.

I returned it in favor of the Craig CVD508 (newer model). The pros and cons are as follows:

PROS:
-Crystal clear picture when channel is available (much clearer than the AccessHD model.)
-Faster setup than the AccessHD model
-Stays relatively cool while in use
-Once this locks onto a channel, it doesn't seem to lose it like the other brand did

CONS
-Menu layout and options are pathetic compared to the AccessHD one
-Can't pick up certain channels that other tuners can, maybe a better antenna is necessary?
-Remote is a piece of junk.

Overall, I'm not convinced that either of these models are worth spending any extra money on. I suppose all of these converters are just cheap electronics from low end brands but neither of these products seem on par with the Zenith and RCA models that people rave of.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Yea, I guess it really doesn't matter how good these converter boxes are, as long as they meet the government minimums to be used with the DTV Coupons...

I've never heard of Rite-Aid before until I joined this forum! I think that's where about half of everyone bought their converter box.

fwmfnm

DTVUSA Rookie
Craig CVD508

I'm trying to install my @$*@_*$ Craig CVD508 right now. The remote is junk--and the Englsh directions are a translation from the original Chinese text.

When I finally located the Install Guide on my TV screen, my desperate attempts to use the remote seem to have bounced me from the first Install screen to the Spanish-language Main Menu--and I can't get back!

Can someone please advise me?

I'm trying to install my @$*@_*$ Craig CVD508 right now. The remote is junk--and the Englsh directions are a translation from the original Chinese text.

When I finally located the Install Guide on my TV screen, my desperate attempts to use the remote seem to have bounced me from the first Install screen to the Spanish-language Main Menu--and I can't get back!

Can someone please advise me?
take it back and get a zenith or insignia box you'll be much happier