Numbers farewell?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
To my knowledge, Numbers is on the bubble and could go either way. They did a lot of cost cutting this year that hurt them, too. That said, their season finale was wonderful. I love a show that gives fans what they want and happy endings. The whole last hour was a delight. I applaud the powers that be for giving the fans a potential last show to remember.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
It was time to end the show, for sure. The cost-cutting really didn't adversely affect the show. Rather, it was the fact that they ran out of good ideas. I was glad to see the show go out on a high note.

I only ever watched Numbers a few times, but I loved the shows unique premise...but for some reason I was never able to get into a regular routine of watching it every week it was on.

Good show though, and it ended too soon...assuming it has ended.

Numbers has a very unique plot and very intriguing story with the combination of mathematical sequence. I loved it at first but the next few season was a little boring though.

Last edited:
I really would never consider Numbers to be boring, it's just that I usually did not have the chance to watch it when it was on. Really though, it's truly a shame that a show with such a unique concept would be over already though...

Orrymain

I think, too, that you had to pay attention or you really didn't get the whole plot. I also believe that they got away from some of that good stuff. They needed Larry around. His being gone was a detriment.

I definitely agree that Numbers was the kind of show you had to pay very close attention to, and missing even a second could hurt your chances of piecing together the whole puzzle, and I don't think that sat well with some people.

Orrymain

We're very much into a multitasking world. Shows that require our full attention have to really have some allure to keep us watching. I think Numbers got a bit soap opera-ish there for a while, too.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The show has always been grounded on the relationship between the Eppes brothers and their father, not just mathematics and criminal investigation. Creator Nicolas Falacci said, in a October 2008 interview:
By focusing on the interaction of two brothers from such vastly different backgrounds, the show is also, to a large degree, about family and relationships.
Indeed the worst missteps on the show happened when they forgot to focus on those relationships, either getting too techy by focusing too much on the mathematics, getting too action/adventure-oriented by focusing too much on the criminal investigation, or in some other way forgetting that this was a show, first and foremost, about people, people who we were to care about.

Orrymain

I think that all the soap opera relationships hurt it, especially with Rob Morrow's character. I ended up not liking him much because of his aloofness of a sort. I like that he grew up a little in this final season.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
It was best when it focused on the relationships between the brothers and their father, for sure. The relationship between Charlie and Larry was also very good (but that was almost exclusively built on the strength of Peter MacNicol's acting talent). The Charlie and Amita relationship was okay. Navi Rawat is a beautiful woman, and has this quality that makes you want to see her and Charlie together and happy, but that's about all there ever was to that relationship, and that is actually a pretty thin structure. The relationships between Don and practically anyone else was always sub-standard, and the relationships between members of the FBI team, including (and really, especially) Sinclair and Granger, were seriously lacking.

In some ways, I wish the show had Krumholtz as the (sole) lead, with Morrow and Hirsch (and MacNicol, if possible) as featured supporting actors (i.e., effectively, the show's B-list). Everything good in the series, IMHO, always revolved around Charlie.

Orrymain

Wow, I actually agree. My impression when the show started was that Morrow was 'the star' and that DK surged and was more or less equal or became 'the star' by public pressure. Charlie's storylines have always had more clout to them, including the relationship with his now-wife. Like you said, Don was sub-pa. It was in my terms a soap opera - been there, done that. MacNihol is wonderful and except for that wanderlust monk crap, he was a joy to have around.

I think that the series did lose a bit of focus towards the end, although I still found the writing to be fairly competent for every season, although it did start to slip a bit during the last few seasons. Sucks the show ended how it did though, and I feel there was a lot that still could have been expanded on.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
I'm not really sure how it could have ended better. :confused:
Concur: It was a good show that had a good run. It also put David Krumholtz on the map as an actor talented enough to carry a successful series. Always got a kick out the guy in interviews -- I once heard him say the role was highly ironic as he barely got through high-school algebra!

Speaking of head scratchers, many critics panned "Numb3rs" badly when it came out as a mid-season replacement. Goes to show that letting critics dictate what you will and won't watch, or like, isn't a good idea.

What I meant by "ended better" was if the show lasted for a few more seasons, and ended for some reason other than "poor ratings" or whatever reason that was given for the cancellation. Some shows end because it was "time" while others get ended because of ratings. While they did do a good job of wrapping things up, I still feel sad that the show had to end when it did.

Orrymain

They haven't actually said 'canceled' yet I don't think, but budget cuts call for it. The longer a show is on the air, the more it costs. DK's salary has no doubt skyrocketed. PM is not cheap which is why he was cut from half the shows. Tough financial times is the reason for its demise, if it is gone.

Actually, I remember checking an article on the status of Numbers fairly recently and it looks like the show was canceled for real. But no, I don't think that anyone ever came out and said for a fact the show was canceled, although pretty much everything seems to indicate that it was.

Orrymain

Actually with such a classy ending, I hope they do leave it canceled. Remember Magnum? They had the most wonderful ending - it was fantastic. Then Selleck felt guilty and came back for one more. The 2nd finale was okay but nowhere near the joy of the first one.