Odd problem HDTV tuner needed???!!??

daltrey99

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Ok here is the deal, I have a digital ready HDTV that for some reason will not receive all of the channels that I used to get. I have a TV in the basement and one upstairs that have digital tuner boxes that are hooked up to the TV and still get the channels that I am unable to get on the HDTV digital tuner TV in the bedroom. Would I be correct in thinking that if I were to get an HDTV digital tuner box for the one in the bedroom that I should be able to get those channels back and the built in tuner maybe on the fritz? The built in tuner in the bedroom TV NEVER got as many channels as the other TV's with the digital tuner boxes. Please help.

daltrey99

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Most likely cause is cable loss, splitter loss. Bad coax, or connectors. Too long of a cable run. I'd rule that out before I blamed the tuner.
I see what you are saying but It has worked flawlessly for the past 2 years and I have a tv further "down the line" that works flawlessly.

daltrey99

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I found the problem. after disconnecting ALL lines in the house, I found a bad splitter that went to the bedroom tv. I will have to go out and get a new one to replace it tomorrow.

daltrey99

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Confirmed that the problem was the splitter. After 2 years of service it died. I tried one the neighbor had let me borrow. I have one on order as ll of the stores here either had junky ones or they were out of stock.

Splitters should be pretty reliable not much there to fail unless they are poorly built, and have had a rough life of frequent movement, connects, disconnects, and moisture.
Steve