Offensive?

hidden

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Family Guy has received a lot of criticism for being overly offensive when it comes to minorities and other sensitive issues. For instance they came under fire for making jokes about the prophet of Islam about a year ago. Does anybody find this show to cross the line ever?

Mattrick

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I believe that it can cross the line of offensive material. However I know they are doing it strictly for fun, so I don't believe it is all as bad as people make it out to be.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
They constantly cross the line. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes they try too hard, and somtimes it just plain ************es me off. I guess that's the beauty of Family Guy. :) What I want to know is who is going to "top" what family guy has done as far as pushing the censorship envelope or being outrageous.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I don't think they hold a candle to "South Park" when it comes to being offensive, but either, I think people should take both shows with a grain of salt. I know that's easier said than done, but they are really just doing it for laughs, and as long as they don't take it way over the top, then I am ok with.

Fardreamer

DTVUSA Member
Family Guy has received a lot of criticism for being overly offensive when it comes to minorities and other sensitive issues. For instance they came under fire for making jokes about the prophet of Islam about a year ago. Does anybody find this show to cross the line ever?
I've got to be honest and say that I rarely watch Family Guy. The only time I ever sat down and watched an entire episode from beginning to end was when Fox re-ran Blue Harvest, the Lucasfilm-vetted parody of Star Wars. I thought THAT was clever, though I can see why some people would not like some of its humor. (In one of the funniest yet darker scenes, John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra get killed and are replaced by Danny Elfman.

toby

DTVUSA Member
i think family guy attempts to tick off everyone regardless of their race, religion, sex, beliefs, etc. i guess you can say that they have a plan to offend everyone?

jhaimee

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I do! I don't think it will still be funny if it didn't. I mean its one of the reasons why the show is good. Not to mention funny. :becky:

cronus

DTVUSA Member
The material is only offensive if someone wants to think that way. My belief then for those who find it offensive is "get over it." If you don't like the material, you don't have to watch it.

I just think that show is plain stupid...I never liked family guy or south park...but if people find it offensive they stop complaining about it and turn the tv off lol....but one thing is for sure I wouldn't allow my kids to watch that show.

I think alot of T.V now a days is offensive, I guess thats the way comedy is geared today. Offened everyone for the sake of ratings because controversy sells right?

Naw, Family Guy/American Dad are too stupid to be offensive. it's obviously the same humor which made stupid shows like Beavis and Butt-head, South Park popular even though they were mere rudimentary in animation quality.

I just wish they'd uncensor them since they're obviously rated from TV-14 to MA, and warn about 'Language' so the V-chip can block it but they censor it from adults as well. and only two words. out of the usual seven and still show blood but not nudity.

Shows like Two and a Half men, though can go too far with sex references but the occasional humor keeps it in my playlist. but shows today will NEVER have the comedy nor the wholesomeness that the 1950s-1970s shows had.

Early? Family Guy, American Dad, and Simpsons all play from 8PM-up. of course Family Guy and American Dad come on after 9PM. they play double simpsons first.

Funny thing is the censors stop after 10 (or is it 11PM?) and the 'hot lines' and other adult ads (nightline phone dating, sex meds, etc exotica adult superstore) come on after 10:30PM. but by then all that's on is one episode of Everybody Loves Raymond (obviously no words needing censoring) and infomercials. it'd be neat if South Park could play after 10:30, since the only time i heard cursing in that show was in the movie, Bigger, Longer and Uncut. even the South Park DVDs are censored

Well, they aired South Park here in Germany in the late night and my husband is looking it.

They have not censored it that way they would have in the US.

From my point of view that whole thing called "South park" is rubbish.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Early? Family Guy, American Dad, and Simpsons all play from 8PM-up. of course Family Guy and American Dad come on after 9PM. they play double simpsons first.
Maybe in your DMA.

Gainesville DMA
WGFL 28.2 MyNet.
Family Guy M-F at 6:30 and 7:00 PM

WOGX 51.1 FOX
American Dad 8:30 Sunday
But they do wait till 10pm to air Family Guy

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
South Park might be offensive, but isn't it on cable? Comedy Central?

Maybe in your DMA.

Gainesville DMA
WGFL 28.2 MyNet.
Family Guy M-F at 6:30 and 7:00 PM

WOGX 51.1 FOX
American Dad 8:30 Sunday
But they do wait till 10pm to air Family Guy
6:30 is pretty early for that show.

btw, doesn't Chris' chin on Family Guy resemble something, well actually 2 things? Anybody else ever notice that? :becky:

Actually it's Peter Griffin's chin. It resembles balls and ironically the episode PTV made it clear. WAZE shows Family Guy and King of the Hill M-F but that channel is Still gone!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Questions and Answers 1