Official ATSC-M/H Reference Thread

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Hello, all:

I know there are a lot of questions about Mobile DTV and whatnot, so here are a couple of useful links.

Open Mobile Video Coalition
This is the website of the OMVC, the group that's behind the rollout of Mobile DTV.

WRAL, Raleigh partner on nation's first mobile DTV venture :: WRAL.com
Mobile DTV launched in CAT bus :: WRAL.com
This is the article and video about the launch of WRAL's Mobile DTV on Raleigh city buses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC-M/H
This is the Wikipedia article about ATSC-M/H.

RabbitEars.Info Mobile DTV List
This is the list of Mobile DTV stations. Any that are currently on the air are noted with green icons, any that are announced as launching soon are noted with orange icons.

DISCLAIMER: The RabbitEars Mobile DTV affiliate list is a part of my personal website.

I hope that gets everyone off to a good start! If you have any links you think I should add, let me know.

- Trip

Last edited:

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
ATSC-MPH is the Mobile DTV standard.

- Trip
I stand corrected. Google needs to update it's results for mobile DTV. Judging by this TVNewsday article, the decision wasn't final in April yet and it was at the top of the list for my search.

The Advanced Television Systems Committee (Booth C8546) expects to have a completed mobile-DTV standard in the third quarter. Mobile DTV has become a major story of this NAB Show, with a host of announcements and technology demonstrations.

"This is exciting, because the technology is moving forward at a rapid pace, and our standards are in sync with the technological developments. Next year at this time, we expect services on-the-air and mobile-DTV receivers available in the marketplace," said ATSC President Mark Richer.

Trip

Staff member
It's not 100% finalized but what's left are little minor details. (I got that from someone on the committee who's dealing with it.) 99% of it is done and several stations already have it on the air.

- Trip

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Can you post a link to this decision by the FCC?
Thanks
ATSC-MPH is the Mobile DTV standard.

- Trip
The following quote is from an ENGADGET article from November 27, 2008
Anywho, the thumbs-up brings the standard one huge step closer to actual implementation in the United States, though a final standard isn't apt to be agreed upon until late next year.
ATSC gives initial thumbs-up to MPH mobile TV standard
The Advanced Television Systems Committee (Booth C8546) expects to have a completed mobile-DTV standard in the third quarter.
TVNEWSDAY - ATSC Sees Mobile DTV Standard by 3Q

Trip

Staff member
No, I can't. The FCC chose to adopt the ATSC standard in full, and did so more than 10 years ago. The MPH standard has been adopted by the ATSC, but not finalized.

- Trip

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Found some info on a tvtechnology.com article printed today

In April, the Open Mobile Video Coalition—an organization of broadcasters and manufacturers promoting an over the air mobile DTV standard—announced that tests for the standard, which is being voted on by the ATSC, would commence in Washington D.C. this summer. ION owns more than 60 stations nationwide.
For the time being, it's unknown who can receive the signals beyond industry insiders. Several devices for receiving the mobile DTV signals (aka “ATSC-MH) were announced at the NAB Show in April, including cell phones from LG Electronics and Samsung, an LG DVD player an in-car receiver from Kenwood and a Dell netbook. LG is one of the developers of ATSC-M/H.
Over the Air Mobile DTV Launched

Piggie

Super Moderator
Trip, is there enough out there yet meaning users to evaluate the practical aspect of MPH? Or is it too soon to evaluate? This may have been exhaustively discussed at AVS, but I don't always have time to read it all. I would think or hope that if MPH helps mobiles, will he help mulitpath for the home user if implemented in their receiver?

Trip

Staff member
Trip, is there enough out there yet meaning users to evaluate the practical aspect of MPH? Or is it too soon to evaluate? This may have been exhaustively discussed at AVS, but I don't always have time to read it all. I would think or hope that if MPH helps mobiles, will he help mulitpath for the home user if implemented in their receiver?
There's not many receivers out there yet, though I'm hoping to try to get one as soon as they're available. Early reports are very good, though.

It likely won't help the home user because it's specialized video in MPEG-4 at reduced resolution. 480x272 I think is the resolution I heard.

- Trip

Piggie

Super Moderator
There's not many receivers out there yet, though I'm hoping to try to get one as soon as they're available. Early reports are very good, though.

It likely won't help the home user because it's specialized video in MPEG-4 at reduced resolution. 480x272 I think is the resolution I heard.

- Trip
Ok, interesting. I didn't' figure the market has reponded yet to the consumer side.

So I need to read I can tell because your answers start begging more questions from me. But what the heck :mad:)

So if they are doing MPEG4 are they using just part of the available bandwidth? How much does 480x272 take in MPEG4? Are they robbing null packets or a little from the main programming?

Could this be the foot in the door for MPEG4?

Trip

Staff member
Basically, Mobile DTV is split into non-variable groups of 0.917 Mbps. One video feed will fit into that bandwidth, however you'll want to add extra groups in order to have increased error correction. For example, I'm told that WRAL is doing a single video feed, however they're using three groups to provide the error correction they want.

The standard allows up to 8 groups, or 7.33 Mbps, to be given to Mobile DTV.

- Trip

Piggie

Super Moderator
Well then one MPH per station if they are 1080i and don't already have a sub will work, barely, assuming 3 streams for error correction.

Everyone wants some of that 19 mbps these days, lol :mad:)

Thanks for the simple explanation Sir Trip....

Everyday I find a new reason lately we should never have gotten rid of so many UHF channels. We got duped I feel.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Thought some would be interested in this....if nothing else...the links and heads up to search for TeleAnalytics pdfs are gold.

Gap Fillers Could Be Key Issue in ATSC-MH Deployment

From Doug Lung's RF Report

07.30.2009 TV Technology

According to research firm TeleAnalytics, deployment of gap fillers could delay broadcasters’ deployment of mobile DTV in the United States.

It the July issue of its TeleAnalytics Mobile TV Tracking Service (TMTS) [PDF], the report commented that “ATSC-M/H appears to be on track for a late summer trial in Washington, D.C., but the balance of the 2009 launch schedule (17 markets) may be too aggressive and commercial services might not start until 2010.”

In researching this report, I found a June 2009 update to TeleAnalytics' publication “Making Mobile TV pay: A 2005-2013 Market Analysis of the Service, Silicon, Terminal and Infrastructure Markets.” In the section, “The ATSC Promise,” the researcher emphasizes the need for coverage—both the number of stations and their signals on the ground. The report noted that the deployment of gap fillers from roof locations was a key ATSC-M/H issue. It also observed that Korean broadcasters had arrived at a solution “in the original small T-DBM coverage area” of Seoul. However Brazilian broadcasters were still trying to work out co-location arrangements and that this was hampering deployment of their “One-Seg” system.

As for the ATSC mobile DTV business case, the report noted the complexities in deployment.

“As analyzed, the dimensioning of the ATSC-M/H business case first of all depends on the number of stations that would be on line at any point in time and their geographical location.” And it cautions that “the enablement of the ATSC M/H Ad revenue stream requires the commissioning of an electronic audience measurement system at the earliest point in time.”

I found the cover of “Making Mobile TV Pay” interesting, as it shows a Japanese iPhone with a Softbank One Segment tuner/battery-pack add on. A similar cell phone/smart phone add-on or back-pack could prove an easy way to get ATSC Mobile DTV in the hands of consumers quickly in the U.S.