Old Zenith TV Set

ronneec

DTVUSA Rookie
My aunt has an old Zenith TV (about 30 years old). It's one of those old ones that is in a nice cabinet. Can you give me some advice on how to connect a converter box to it? It has an outdoor antenna if that helps. Need some real simple instructions.Thanks for any advice/suggestions, much appreciated.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Any other info about it? Does it have the old twin screw style input that allows you to connect a antenna? Or a coax/rf connection input? It has to have an input for it to be able to connect a converter box to it.

Most converters come with a adapter to work with twin-lead sets. if it's one of the ones made in the 60s-70s you'll probably need that and a screwdriver. other than that it's no different than using one with a newer set.

I got a few consoles and i always loved them more since they add to the 'furnished' look in a home. :)

On most sets this old there will possibly be two different twin-lead connections, labeled VHF and UHF. You will want to use the VHF part. there is NO polarity so there's no wrong way to attach the adapter if needed. some other sets had both twin lead and RF-in (normal type used on just about every new TV around, typical screw on cable cord) and some even had the RF labeled 'CABLE', (back when it was used as a 'cable ready' TV set since most who used rabbit ears then connected to the twin lead part) or it could be labeled 'CONVERTER INPUT or AUX (when cable came out it used a converter box or 'descrambler')

If the TV has mechanical tuners (two knobs on front, no remote capability) you turn the VHF knob (most likely the upper one) to channel 3 or 4 after connecting the box's 'TV OUT' to the TV and the antenna to the 'ANTENNA' or 'IN' port on the box. if the TV has digital tuning (has red LED numerals or even an On Screen Display, some sets in the '70s had them including Zenith's Space Command) you use your TV remote to tune to the same.

The TV remote will not operate the converter sadly and some converters don't have provisions to use it to turn the TV on or off so if your TV is remote capable you may want to invest in a universal remote to control both. if your TV is one of the very early ones using remote control it may not be an Infrared remote control, it may be an Ultrasound emitter remote that uses sound to control the set, the converter box will still use its remote but it won't operate the TV and universal remotes are all infrared so it won't work. if your TV has an ultrasound remote it will have a 9V battery to power it vs. AAs or AAAs. if the TV is as old as it is it may have just mechanical knobs which will still require you to go to the front to turn the TV on or off. the nice part is that the converter can has the option to MUTE sound in the converter itself so you got an extra if the TV never had that feature since it works through the box not the TV.

Last edited: