On demand issues/HR54/700 - DirecTV

Ok here we go. I have just had Directv installed last week and replaced Time Warner Cable. Watching on demand is a big deal for me and a major selling point basically if I cannot get this working right it becomes useless. To start from the beginning the installer was not able to get my genie to connect wirelessly to my Netgear R6100 Dual band router. Everything was played with and tested and it was determind the he would just line it directly to my modem (btw every other device in my house connects perfectly fine, Rokus,laptops.phones). I knew something wasn't right at this point but I just went along. At that point we did test my connection speed via my laptop at 60 mps and basically every other device in my house; this was done all on wifi. After it was all installed (3hrs later) all seemed fine but it takes 24hrs or so for on demand to become fully availible. The next day trying to watch various shows I became very alarmed when almost nothign would play for more than a few minutes without stopping. Some downloads would sit all day without moving and the download indicator would turn yellow. So like anyone would do I spent hours seaching different do it your self fixes and I would say I pretty much tried everything from clearing the cache to changing ports around on my router. Well I called and they had a tech come out free of charge and he changed out my receiver. Lo and behold it connected to my wifi first try and I thought it was all good because I had to wait once again for the on demand to be availible. After I was able to try again I found the same exact issues. So I took it upon my self to reboot the receiver and do a manual update. After being able to try on demand again, same issues persist. I found I was no longer able to connect via wifi at all so I tried the ethernet again and was able to connect but of course very bad results with on demand. I tried opening upd port 1701 but am not sure I did it correctly because I heard this worked for some people. I don't want to call and go over all this over and over and I know its not my time warner internet because I have a good connection everywhere in my house on many things. One final thought, since I just signed up last week. If this doesn't ever work is there a way to get out of the contract because of some grace period or something? I need on demand to work consistantly. Also it works perfectly on my laptop connected to my tv through the web with very hight def. Please help.

This question, "On demand issues/HR54/700," is about DirecTV channels, programming, equipment, and sports.

G

Known Issues with HR54 Genie and on demand of HD lowering to SD quality

There is a known issue with the HR54 box. It's dropping packets (which can be seen in the router), and that has something to do with it downgrading the quality from HD to SD.

It's been going on since July, and is NOT YET fixed.
Good luck getting DirectTV tech support to look at this. They just told me it's going to take 2 weeks to get back to me on this known issue.

My suggestion, if you want to watch on demand in HD, get OFF of DirectTV.

G

I am a Dtv installer in VA and a customer had the same problem with Cox internet.
I have an HR34 at home and have the same issue with Comcast internet also.

G

Using the Genie remote on the main box select: Menu\Settings & Help\Settings\Internet Setup\Advanced Setup\Advanced IP Config.
At this setup page note current settings in case you need to revert to them. Then, select "Reset Network" (Don't remember if it stays in this page or not. If not navigate back to page and enter your internet router information (you can find out easily online how to get this info if you don't know it or know how to get it) then select configure now. I initially connected my TWC internet to the box three days before the install of U-verse (had to get both for package deal) using those steps. Then after U-verse was up and running, went through this menu to change it to new U-verse install.

B

BOOBBY1969

Boobby florida to cali

Had the same issue with Comcast and H34/54 when connected via Cat5 or wireless. Got so sick of DIRECTV locking up. I have 100MBPS set up from Comcast. On my cell I can test speeds and is always over 119Mbps. I must be at the beginning of the source through the neighborhood. D-TV in L-R still would lock up. Couldn’t even get a show to start let alone record. Forget even trying to use in other rooms. It never allowed me to test the speed let alone having to re-connect wireless at least twice a month. Then I found the Comcast APP for my router/wireless unit. Download it. Noticed that you can configure every device in the home to receive wireless at 2.ghz or 5Ghz. I setup and named everything (27 items) and to which band. D-Tv to 5Ghz and 2 iPhones to 5. Everything else went into a 2nd or 3rd category. 2nd category is 2.4ghz that must always be connected. 3rd is for all non essential items. I can watch an hr show on demand wirelessly and by the time it starts, the show is already 1/2 Way recorded. No more skips, pauses or just won’t start. I can watch on-demand in furthest room away without a glitch. Kids can be using on-demand or Netflix without D-TV slowing. I can test speed on the DVR now and it’s never lower than the max it will show. Know your router. The app makes it easier. I do have a tech background and have been able to change the bandwidth (size of the highway) and on lower channels which are not used as often because no one is using the old Netgear single band wireless routers. Good luck