'Once Upon a Time' and 'Missing' Season Finale Thoughts

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Continuing with my recent theme of certain season finales that have touched a chord with me, I have a new bone of contention. If you happen to have watched the finales of Once Upon a Time and Missing, you probably can guess what has me perturbed.

View attachment 1698 Once Upon a Time is a show of fairy tales with a twist. It is the story of Snow White and Prince Charming, who wed and had a baby, only to have their magical happiness interfered with by the jealous queen who zaps a spell on the entire kingdom and transports everyone to the present. The catch is that no one remembers anything except, oddly, for a young boy.

I actually won't go into all that has transpired over the season and truth be told, I missed a few episodes once the competition heated up and I didn't have a DVR slot available to record it. However, the scheduling conflict ended just in time for this final first season episode.

The show was great, but the reason I wasn't sure about watching this series is that I figured they'd never provide the ultimate happy ending until five years down the road and it was going off the air. I was actually stunned when at the end of the hour, the queen's curse was lifted and everyone knew the truth.

Then, in the very last moments, the sinister Rumpelstiltskin unleashes some sort of evil magic. So, viewers had this one to two minute period of true joy, but instead of letting us keep it for the off-season, they introduce this evil. I actually was more positive about the show during that joyful period when my curiosity about what the second season might bring was eager and anticipatory, but then it turned into a bit of frustration and perhaps even anger that the joy was cut so short.

Move forward a few days in the week to the Ashley Judd drama, Missing. Again I had a concern about the theme. Her teenage son was missing. I didn't want to wait five years for the big reunion, but this show, while a bit too violent, had some awesome intensity. I actually think Judd deserves an Emmy nomination for Best Actress. She's been phenomenal.

Back to the point, though, imagine my surprise on tonight's finale when Mom and son are reunited, along with long lost dad. It even looks like a happy ending. Again, my mind began to wonder about season two. I was feeling good. That said, I was highly suspicious even as I watched the family talking about their future. Sure enough, after all that anxious drama, we got about two minutes of happiness before the theme of season two became apparent. No, the son wasn't kidnapped again. Judd's character was.

Geez, folks, can't we have a peaceful end to a season? Neither of these shows needed to do what they did. The shows were great, and I was already eager to see what the next years would bring, but I resent only being allowed to be happy for two minutes or less. It's an insult, almost like when Leslie Hope's character of Mrs. Jack Bauer was killed at the end of 24. Unjustified. That's my word for it. I actually think it's a big part of what is wrong with our world. People don't believe in happy endings anymore.

Except for one thing.

I do. I believe in happy endings, and that's why I'm miffed. After months of watching a season, I believe we the viewers are entitled to more than two minutes of smiles.

That's just my two cents.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G DirecTV 0
G Comcast 0