Question: Optoma EZPRO 550 LCD Pojector

cclc

DTVUSA Member
I just got done doing some work for a guy (rebuild lower unit on boat motor) and when i was finished he asked me if i would be interested in a home theater projector in exchange of the money ($300.00), said he had bought it around 6 or so years ago and paid about $1,800.00 dollars for it. So i took a look at it and was amazed at the quality of picture it was displaying on his basement wall and said sure, i'll take it.

It's a Optoma CTX LCD EZPRO Projector, anyone familiar with it? Think it was a good deal? It projects a picture up to 180 inches, 1024x768 res., has inputs for antenna, dvd/vcr and computor with built in speaker and audio outputs, and came with 3 spare bulbs. Im not familiar with projectors at all so any advice or comments is welcome. I'm kind of excited to get it up and running. May just be a home theater set-up in progress for me!:D

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Sounds great!

What matters is if you like it.

I have an Optoma H31 DLP projector and I love it. Its 854x480, and I projecta picture of 92" diagnol with it. Though at that size the screen door effect starts to become noticeable. Mine is a 16:9 ratio projector.

My guess is that yours there is an LCD projector and 4:3 ratio, a bit higher resolution than mine.

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

Its not a permanent mount projector. The speakers are also in the rear.

I move the couch around to about where Im standinf for the pic when there is a crowd....other wise there are some comfy chairs to sit in.

Its not the most elegant Home Theatre, however it is enjoyable.

cclc

DTVUSA Member
Wow..... that looks swell! You are correct mine is 4:3. I've got an old big den/office type room i just may have to make some adjustments to so i can use it in. I'll take comfort over fancey anyday. Do you project on a screen or wall? Once i get ready i'm sure i'll have some questions to post in the theater topics forum. Thanks for sharing a pic, it looks great!

EscapeVelocity

No offense taken Jim.

Its a pull down screen. Nothing fancy, just a 16:9 basic matte white Draper Luma, with a manual pull down, and black masking on the edges. The Black masking helps alot, so that you dont have to have the projector absolutely perfect, just run the edges of the image over into them, and they give you an nice vertical cutoff.

I have projected on a white sheet and a grey wall. My brother even projected on a mustard yellow wall, and it was watchable, but the whites in the images were yellowish. Medium to light grey however works great.

You can buy Behr Silverscreen paint from Home Depot and paint a nice screen on a wall and frame it with some 1x3s or 1x4s with black velvet wrap stapled to them and have a fantastic permanent screen on the cheap. You can also do a white. Id have to look up what are some good whites to use. Seems matte or eggshell would be the way to go....maybe Ultimate White.

EscapeVelocity

I hardly ever go to the movie theatre anymore. Only for movies that Im really fired up for.

Popcorns better, drinks are better, comfy chairs are better, and if you have to use the bathroom, you can pause the movie!