Ordered a new antenna

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
It's an Antennacraft G1483 which looks like the legendary Gray-Hoverman model. It was ordered on friday so it should be here either tuesday or wednesday. I'll be using it to replace my Antennacraft U-4000 which is a great antenna by the way so it'll be interesting to see if the G1483 is any better. While I don't have a spectrum analyzer I should be able to tell if the G1483 picks up the fringe channels any better. While my gut feeling is that it won't, I'm hoping I'm wrong. Either way I'll let you all know how it goes when I get it hooked up this week.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Got it today and installed it in place of the U4000. On the minus side there seems to be no discernible difference in the signal strength meter on the converter box which is about what I expected. On the plus side the G1483 is a few inches shorter and weighs about half as much the U4000. Another bonus is that the G1483 seems to be less directional and thanks to the smaller number of directional elements, it receives channels from the back side almost as well as from the front which would be a huge benefit to anyone with channels coming from opposite directions. The antenna has fold down directional elements to boot too. Also want to add that the info which came with the antenna says that it's cut for channels 14-60 but it will in fact pick up both vhf channels 9 and 12 out of Cincinnati, Ohio.

To Aaron,

The G1483 that I bought is the 4 bay version. The 8 would have been nice but I'm not crazy about the two stacked 4 bays and would prefer them to be side by side like the U8000.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Got it today and installed it in place of the U4000. On the minus side there seems to be no discernible difference in the signal strength meter on the converter box which is about what I expected. On the plus side the G1483 is a few inches shorter and weighs about half as much the U4000. Another bonus is that the G1483 seems to be less directional and thanks to the smaller number of directional elements, it receives channels from the back side almost as well as from the front which would be a huge benefit to anyone with channels coming from opposite directions. The antenna has fold down directional elements to boot too. Also want to add that the info which came with the antenna says that it's cut for channels 14-60 but it will in fact pick up both vhf channels 9 and 12 out of Cincinnati, Ohio.

To Aaron,

The G1483 that I bought is the 4 bay version. The 8 would have been nice but I'm not crazy about the two stacked 4 bays and would prefer them to be side by side like the U8000.
Ah, my bad. :usa2: Glad to hear it worked well for you.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Took the G1483 down today to add a 4.5' section of mast which didn't help much. Thought what the heck and took a crappy pic of it along side the U4000.

U4000 on the left and the G1483 on the right.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I spoke too soon when I said the extra mast didn't help much. I was trying to pick up the RTV channel out of Columbus, Ohio to no avail. Tonight when I turned the antenna back toward Cincinnati it picked up WOTH tv and their RTV subchannel!

I'm happy as **** right now! :)

I'll have to keep an eye on it for the next few days just to be sure that it's not just skip, which is doubtful since the temperature has been in the upper 20's to low 30's the last few days. Looks like the G1483 at around 30' high picks up WOTH despite TVFool showing the signal to be at -1.7NM.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I spoke too soon when I said the extra mast didn't help much. I was trying to pick up the RTV channel out of Columbus, Ohio to no avail. Tonight when I turned the antenna back toward Cincinnati it picked up WOTH tv and their RTV subchannel!

I'm happy as **** right now! :)

I'll have to keep an eye on it for the next few days just to be sure that it's not just skip, which is doubtful since the temperature has been in the upper 20's to low 30's the last few days. Looks like the G1483 at around 30' high picks up WOTH despite TVFool showing the signal to be at -1.7NM.
Yea, I wish I could get retro. And ION, and CW. Maybe they'll put a translator up someday. There's a translator 30+ mi NW that has ION, but there's a big ol' mountain in the way. It would be nice, Ion and Qubo for the kids! CW would be nice only because they carry Saturday night live... the local NBC doesn't. I think it's a mormon thing (utah)
I'm also using the backside of my radio shack u-75 to get translators 10 mi s, and there's a set of Idaho translators 18 mi n on the front side. ~ Funny thing about my antenna- my only vhf is 8, and it picks it up from the side!