Ota dvr

I'm looking at the DTVPal DVR and the Tivo HD-DVR. The Tivo is much more expensive but from what I understand it can record OTA just fine.

Has anyone done a comparison review or test between the two units?

Are there any more HD-DVRs that I should consider?

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Sony made a couple of OTA HD DVRs and LG made one. Cant remember the model numbers off the top of my head. Discontinued all, only available used....and they command high prices on the used market.

EscapeVelocity

The tuner in the LG is pretty good, but its 4th generation or so. For comparison the Zenith DTT901 uses a 6th generation LG tuner.

Dont know what the Sonys have, but they are probably the near equal, as these all came out about the same time.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Sony made a couple of OTA HD DVRs and LG made one. Cant remember the model numbers off the top of my head. Discontinued all, only available used....and they command high prices on the used market.
Wonder why that is? How can they spend so much on R&D and then quit selling them after the transition which should now be the peak for demand on OTA DVRs.

EscapeVelocity

They have been discontinued for a few years now. They werent selling well is my guess. Big money DVR purchasers were buying Tivos for cable and satellite use...not watching OTA....is my guess.

I wonder how the DTVPal DVR works with bad commercials. can you, as they say, 'tivo' them like you can with the Dish DVR's? as in pause, take a bathroom or snack break, come back, hit play, fast forward past it and go about your lives?

For me currently i have to rely on the always-changing patterns and set my VCR accordingly so i can fast-forward but it doesn't have that same sort of ring to it. :(

bicker

DTVUSA Member
A few notes. Yes, the DTVPal DVR and the TiVo are the only HD DVRs still marketed to the public, that record OTA. (There is also the Moxi HD DVR, but it only records cable, not OTA. The TiVos record both OTA and cable.)

Samsung, Cisco, Pace, and Motorola also make DVRs (though specifically for cable). None of them have shown any interest in marketing to the general public.

TiVo, of course, has been doing this for quite a while. They have been having a very hard time achieving two profitable quarters in a row. There just isn't enough money to be made in this space, apparently. People simply don't care to pay enough, and the costs are just too high, for sustained profitability.

TiVo, of course, has been doing this for quite a while. They have been having a very hard time achieving two profitable quarters in a row. There just isn't enough money to be made in this space, apparently. People simply don't care to pay enough, and the costs are just too high, for sustained profitability.
But the popularity of renting a DVR is still there isn't it? Do you think it has something to do with people perceiving that they are paying less by renting DVRs from their cable company instead of paying a big up front one time fee?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
But the popularity of renting a DVR is still there isn't it?
And increasing... but people generally don't care to put a lot of money out up-front, and generally don't care to pay significantly more to get something significantly better.

Do you think it has something to do with people perceiving that they are paying less by renting DVRs from their cable company instead of paying a big up front one time fee?
I think "perceiving" misses the point, a bit, at least for many people. Many people consciously prefer to not take the risk of a personal outlay. Of having to take the risk onto themselves of getting a DVR to work within a cable system's network (and as the owner of four TiVos, I can assure you, that risk isn't inconsequential).

Thank you for the responses.

I'll probably be swapping the DVR between TVs in my family room and my bedroom as I do not want to purchase 2 of them right now because of the costs.

The most important thing that I'm concerned with on this purchase is accuracy of recording. How reliable is the DTV Pal vs. Tivo HD-DVR when it comes to recording.

I searched the forum for a Tivo HD-DVR owner thread or for someone with experience with using one and couldn't find one. Does anyone own one here?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Thank you for the responses.

I'll probably be swapping the DVR between TVs in my family room and my bedroom as I do not want to purchase 2 of them right now because of the costs.

The most important thing that I'm concerned with on this purchase is accuracy of recording. How reliable is the DTV Pal vs. Tivo HD-DVR when it comes to recording.

I searched the forum for a Tivo HD-DVR owner thread or for someone with experience with using one and couldn't find one. Does anyone own one here?
I currently own and use a Tivo. What do you want to know about it?

But the popularity of renting a DVR is still there isn't it? Do you think it has something to do with people perceiving that they are paying less by renting DVRs from their cable company instead of paying a big up front one time fee?
I have a Motorola dvr from Comcast. For me, a big advantage is that if it breaks, I can get a replacement for free, and I've done that.

I have a Motorola dvr from Comcast. For me, a big advantage is that if it breaks, I can get a replacement for free, and I've done that.
yeah, you kind of get insurance with renting a dvr. another advantage with renting is turning the unit back in and upgrading to a newer one after your contract is up.

Lee, have you ever had a problem with the hdmi output on your comcast dvr? i had to return mine about 6 months ago for a different one because my receiver couldn't recognize the audio from it.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I want to know how accurate the Tivo is vs. the DTVPal with timed recordings. Can I set either of them for like a season pass type of recording where they'll record one show for a season? How would this work with OTA?
The Dish Network DTVPal DVR doesn't have a season pass. I'm pretty sure the season pass is Tivo only. You can set the DTVPal to record on a regular schedule, which is where the season pass was born. You find a program you want to record and in the options, set the DTVPal to repeat the scheduled recording each week. If the program airs daily, you set the record option to record the scheduled recording daily. The Tivo isn't 100% and neither is the DTVPal DVR. I don't think one is more accurate over the other, because the inaccuracies occur when the broadcast lineup was reported incorrectly or the lineup changed.

The Dish Network DTVPal DVR doesn't have a season pass. I'm pretty sure the season pass is Tivo only. You can set the DTVPal to record on a regular schedule, which is where the season pass was born. You find a program you want to record and in the options, set the DTVPal to repeat the scheduled recording each week. If the program airs daily, you set the record option to record the scheduled recording daily. The Tivo isn't 100% and neither is the DTVPal DVR. I don't think one is more accurate over the other, because the inaccuracies occur when the broadcast lineup was reported incorrectly or the lineup changed.
Again thanks everyone for your help.

I made the decision to order the DTVPal DVR. Hope it'll work well. :)