OTA HD Converter Box

Thomas G

Contributor
I might be in the market for an HD converter box because i have 2 HD ready TVs that aren't connected to my DirecTV system. Call me lazy, but I've never found time to wire the two rooms (My 4 year old does NOT need satellite TV right now anyway).

The wife and I are in the process of cutting back on bills, so DirecTV may go by the way side in a few months. So I may get an HD OTA box for one of the rooms, and eventually move it to my family room.

Question is, is it worth it to spend $70 on a OTA HD converter box now, or would it pay to wait? I find it hard to believe that adding a HDMI or component connection to a converter box, makes the cost go up $30 to $40 over regular CECB converter boxes.

I haven't seen any with HDMI. The regular one's down convert the HD picture to 480i standard definition.

On my LCD I can see the difference clear as day between SD and HD channels. The SD is blurry, the HD is like the people are real. hehe

Thomas G

Contributor
Add the Coby DTV-140 ATSC HD Converter Box to your HD OTA list.

Technical Details

* Receives Free Over-the Air (OTA) Digital Television Signals
* Compatible with all 18 ATSC Signal Formats
* Outputs OTA HDTV signals for use with High Definition TV's (720p/1080i)
* Downconverts OTA HDTV signals for use with Standard and Enhanced Definition TV's (480i/480p)
* On screen program guide

Product Description
Coby Electronics is a manufacturer of quality consumer electronics products designed to deliver outstanding performance for value conscious consumers who do not compromise on product performance. Coby incorporates new designs with innovative technologies to produce great looking and great performing consumer electronics products.PRODUCT FEATURES:Receives Free Over-the-Air (OTA) Digital Television Signals;Compatible with all 18 ATSC Signal Formats;Outputs OTA HDTV Signals for use with High-Definition TVs (720p/1080i);Downconverts OTA HDTV Signals for use with Standard- and Enhanced-Definition TVs (480i/480p);On-Screen Program Guide.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I might be in the market for an HD converter box because i have 2 HD ready TVs that aren't connected to my DirecTV system. Call me lazy, but I've never found time to wire the two rooms (My 4 year old does NOT need satellite TV right now anyway).

The wife and I are in the process of cutting back on bills, so DirecTV may go by the way side in a few months. So I may get an HD OTA box for one of the rooms, and eventually move it to my family room.

Question is, is it worth it to spend $70 on a OTA HD converter box now, or would it pay to wait? I find it hard to believe that adding a HDMI or component connection to a converter box, makes the cost go up $30 to $40 over regular CECB converter boxes.
You can always wire the two rooms when you get the time later on. It may become necessary when you kids get older.

I was in the same position as you are. I wanted to save money and decided to disconnect the cable. It saves me $65.00 a month.

Are you talking about a HD converter (CECB) or an HD tuner? I'll go with the assumption you meant an HD tuner box for an HD ready TV. The additional cost isn't just for the addition of an HDMI and component output. The HD boxes are a higher quality built product for addition to ones HT system. I purchased the Dish Network DTVPal DVR and have not had any regrets. It gives us more flexibility to watch good TV programming. We record shows we could never watch due to the fact they were on at the same time. Saving $65.00 a month from cable paid for the DVR in 4 months.

Thomas G

Contributor
Yeah I meant HD tuner, caught my mistake. ;) I renewed my DirecTV contract last month and had them rewire and cable into those bedrooms. Got a great deal on some H21 receivers. So I've put off buying an HD tuner for now. Thanks for the post though 1inxs!

Last edited: