Question: OTA In House antenna

U

Unregistered

since the conversion to digital I have had wonder reception with my 2 phillips rotary plate atenna and a rabbit ears atenna. I have one LCD tv and two analog tvs with digital converter boxes. The other day I lost ABC and CBS channels and today some PBS channels. How do I fix it...

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Since we have no idea where you are, we have no real way to tell you. It may be as simple as the TV stations having technical difficulties. One thing you could do is post the URL for the "radar plot" for your TV Fool report. If you just simply tell us what town your in (or close to) I'm sure Trip (RabbitEars.Info) might know if your stations have had problems.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I live on the Boston area
I take it from your first post that your reception has been consistently good for the last 2.75-3 years. Also, I have to assume that the stations you had the problem on are:

ABC WCVB 5.1 (RF20)
CBS WBZ 4.1 (RF30)
PBS WGBH 2.1 (RF19) or WGBX 44.1 (RF43)

Am I correct in my assumptions?

Has your reception improved or stabilized since your first post?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Tower problem kills Channel 4 for antenna-using TV watchers

Monday, April 9, 2012

A problem at a transmitting tower has made Boston’s CBS station, WBZ Channel 4, temporarily invisible to people who use antennas, and also affected channels 5 and 38.

“We were watching the Masters. It was just before they were getting the green jackets; they were walking off the green and the picture went out,” said Joleen Carleton, who was watching with Ruland Sears of Milford at his home. They also noticed that channel 38 went out.

The problem, according to Boston Business Review, is equipment failure at a transmitting tower in Needham, Mass. Few details were available, but was expected to be fixed today or tomorrow, April 10.

The problem did not affect cable-TV transmission. WBZ-TV said in a statement that only 7 percent of its total audience still uses free, over-the-air signals. Channel 38, owned by CBS, is a sister station to WBZ.

Boston’s ABC affiliate, WCVB Channel 5, resumed over-the-air signals Sunday using a low-power backup transmitter that has trouble being detected in parts of Greater Nashua.

The situation revealed one weakness in using traditional antennas to get television reception, but that doesn’t affect the main benefit of the old-fashioned system.

“It’s free,” said Carleton.

– DAVID BROOKS
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/956591-196/tower-problem-kills-channel-4-for-antenna-using.html

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
The situation revealed one weakness in using traditional antennas to get television reception, but that doesn’t affect the main benefit of the old-fashioned system.

“It’s free,” said Carleton.

– DAVID BROOKS
If David Brooks thinks free over-the-air DTV is "old fashioned" I'd like to know what he thinks IS 'state-of-the-art'.

For the record, OTA TV stations rarely ever go dark (off the air) and this example is unusual and was apparently caused by an equipment failure. At least one TV Transmitter in almost every Community has a diesel generator that will keep it on-air in the event of an electrical power outage. Very few Cell Phone towers have any power backup which means those readers that still have landlines will continue to have telephone service during a widespread power outage ... but that's "old fashioned" as well.

Jim