OTA San Francisco Station Broadcasts ESPN

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Well, what is meant by broadcasting ESPN? I do know that ESPN sells local Monday Night Football games to local stations (KTVD Denver broadcasts monday night Bronco games), but I doubt there is a full time ESPN affiliate. Not when ESPN charges cable companies $4+ a month per subscriber.

n2rj

Staff member
It's probably sports on ABC where they use the ESPN graphics and logo. ABC's sports programming actually originates out of ESPN in Bristol, CT.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Karlo,

I also have my doubts ESPN will be going to free OTA Television in any area. One interesting change in the Seattle area happened April 1, 2009: talk radio KIRO-AM-710 changed its format and it is now branded as 710-ESPN Sports. Being a 50 kW station, it can be heard all over the region which makes it convienient to follow sporting events while driving.

Jim

Karlo

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Well I think there is some truth. 4 of the top ABC owned stations have ESPN logo on the website. Chicago is ABC owned also but no ESPN logo. Other ABC affiliates do not have ESPN. It looks like only the big markets they are experimenting.

New York / ESPN
WABC-TV New York, New Jersey, Connecticut News, Weather & Traffic | 7online.com | 7online.com

Los Angeles / ESPN
KABC-TV Los Angeles News, Weather & Traffic | Southern California News | abc7.com

San Francisco / ESPN
KGO Bay Area News, Weather & Traffic | San Francisco, Oakland & San Jose News | abc7news.com

Philly / ESPN
WPVI Philadelphia News, Weather & Traffic | Philly Area News for the Delaware and Lehigh Valleys | 6abc.com

Chicago / Not
WLS Chicago News, Weather, Traffic | Chicago Area News | ABC7Chicago - abc7chicago.com | abc7chicago.com

Dallas Affiliate/ Not
wfaa.com | Dallas - Fort Worth Sports

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
ESPN will not be broadcast over the air. The network gets $4 per subscriber and will not risk that by putting its programming over the air beyond the occasional football game fed to local affiliates in accordance with sports league rules.

- Trip

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
ESPN will not be broadcast over the air. The network gets $4 per subscriber and will not risk that by putting its programming over the air beyond the occasional football game fed to local affiliates in accordance with sports league rules.

- Trip
No more than they absolutely have to. I don't know why the government hasn't gone after ESPN, they hold a monopoly on professional sports and extort money from pay tv customers by making them pay for something they don't want.