OTA TV Supporters Speak Up

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I would be happy to give them feedback if someone would be kind enough to explain how to go about it.
Anyone knowing an appropriate method to contact the FCC on this matter, please share with the rest of us.

n2rj

Staff member
You can use ECFS to file comments. All comments are public record and will be available on the ECFS system as well as through FOIA.

Here is the form to submit comments:
Submit a Filing

Here are the comments that have been filed:
Search for Filings Results

This highlights one of the big problems with these filings. They are buried deep in layers of bureaucracy through an antiquated website that only lawyers from large telecom companies know how to maneuver.

dkreichen1968

Staff member

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Good luck to the outspoken. I fear that it's for naught, but at the same time, fighting for what one believes is a good thing. I'm just feeling like government could care less.

MrPogi

Staff member
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Excerpt from:[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]​
http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2010/db1130/FCC-10-196A1.pdf
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]STATEMENT OF [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]CHAIRMAN JULIUS GENACHOWSKI
Re: [FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]Innovation in the Broadcast Television Bands: Allocations, Channel Sharing and [FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]Improvements to VHF, [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]ET Docket No. 10-235, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

The roughly 300 MHz of spectrum in the TV bands is among the most robust available. Beachfront property. The transition to digital made it possible to transmit over-the-air broadcast programming using less spectrum than before. While some stations are seizing the opportunity to offer multicast streams or mobile TV that serve the public interest, others are not.
We might think of the steady stream of broadcast DTV transmissions as trains with a fixed number of boxcars delivering digital content – but many of the boxcars are empty. This spectrum is too valuable – and our spectrum needs too great – for it to be used inefficiently. Especially given that less than 10% of Americans receive broadcast television only through over-the-air spectrum signals...
...Continued:
I believe that moving forward with incentive auctions is vital to our economy and to American consumers. By bringing market forces to broadcast spectrum, it would free up airwaves for mobile broadband, drive private investment, enhance our global competitiveness, and lead to improved service to consumers. It would also yield significant revenue for the Treasury.

My brain hurts from reading this.

In summary, I have to say this is 26 pages of lawyer-ese and doublespeak that will be passed regardless of objections by the public, as the FCC has already decided that 10% of the population does not matter, and does not have the money that the corporations have. Never mind that the 10% figure is unverifiable and undoubtably an undercount, and growing in numbers, and that broadcasters have yet to pay off the costs of the DTV transition and have not had time to fully take advantage of the full possibilities of DTV broadcasting.

In the end, it's all about this:
It would also yield significant revenue for the Treasury. (And wireless providers)

Last edited:

FOX TV

Contributor
Unfortunately Orry, I have to agree. Our government gives not one dam about the American people, and that is especially true of the Crooks we have running the show now. Their agenda is to destroy the economy so they can have a stranglehold around the necks of the American people. Example follows...The defeated Democrats are now trying to get one more jab into the gut of the American public that rejected their agenda by passing an omnibus spending bill in the last weeks of their reign as one last blow to the American People who rejected them in the recent elections.

The Democrats' plan to pass the $1.27 trillion bill by a midnight deadline Saturday, when current funding for the government is set to expire. This is supposed to fund the Government for the next fiscal term, but they did not have the testicular fortitude to pass a budget in the past, but this is an attempt to get all of the proposed pork they want approved before they end up on the street as contemptible lobbyists, but in reality is is a jab back at us for kicking their asses out on the street. It contains over 6,000 earmarks that simply show who these people like BITCHER and the Dummycrats really are.

MrPogi

Staff member
Joint filing is good, but please don't turn it into a form letter that a billion people send to the FCC.
Agreed, but a billion form letters to the FCC may open their eyes. You'll notice, there are only 3 comments there now- and one is ex-parte from Verizon.

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Joint filing is good, but please don't turn it into a form letter that a billion people send to the FCC.
I'm not talking about a form letter, but one filing filed by a group of people. You know, like the Declaration of Independence being writen by Thomas Jefferson, but being agreed upon and signed by the Continental Congress.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Be it a form letter or just a signature of support, that's all some folks can do. I couldn't write a decent paragraph because it's so technical. I can agree with the concept but don't ask me to even summarize it.

n2rj

Staff member
Agreed, but a billion form letters to the FCC may open their eyes. You'll notice, there are only 3 comments there now- and one is ex-parte from Verizon.
Based on past experience with FCC comment filings, it doesn't work that way. What they do is lump all of the form letter comments into one. If everyone sends an individual comment, it will be displayed individually.

I'm thinking of drafting one to send but for various reasons I need to do it while I'm at home (i.e. not on the clock).

n2rj

Staff member
Be it a form letter or just a signature of support, that's all some folks can do. I couldn't write a decent paragraph because it's so technical. I can agree with the concept but don't ask me to even summarize it.
It doesn't have to be an essay. One or two lines is sufficient to show your support.

But based on past filings, such as the filing regarding the abolition of the morse code requirement for amateur radio licenses, a bunch of people filed the same form letter to the FCC and the FCC basically lumped them all into one comment. The end result of course was that the requirement was abolished, which actually went against most of the comments.

So two things we can learn here - the FCC basically makes it clear that form letters are form letters, and they are not a democracy, i.e. they take comments into account but often the final decision may be completely different.

FOX TV

Contributor
Everyone please make an effort to let them hear your opinions !!

OK.. Here is my suggestion for those who really don't understand the technical aspects..plagiarism will work here. I give anyone permission to go back and look at all of my posts from early 2010, and late 2009 and use any of the text you feel applies to your situation regarding saving OTA TV. Virtually all of the facts I posted came from industry information sources and industry standard publications, and in some cases, Broadcast associations such as NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) and the VAB (Virginia Association of Broadcasters), and our station groups legal team of broadcast specialty Lawyers.

Another way to accomplish this may be to submit your letter to someone such as Trip or I, or any of the industry knowledgeable users of this forum to proof read it only for accuracy of facts themselves, or we could post basic guidelines, or basic form letters that would need to be changed into your own words, but using industry supplied facts and figures. There are many ways to go about this, and it may even be a case of quantity as opposed to the quality of the letters received that may help wake them up.

They care little about the actual facts because they and the lobbyists already have their minds made up, and we all know that the lobbyists run Washington D.C. now, and what the FCC really fears is lots of complaints to congress. If you do decide to write a letter, don't just send it to the FCC comment area; make sure your Washington D.C. representatives get copied on it also, as the ultimate decision is up to Congress, not the FCC.

Remember to state your objections to the loss of OTA TV for as many personal reasons as you can think of, and then ask the questions "Why did Congress force broadcasters to spend billions on the digital transition, only to have it all threatened into extinction by the broadband industry?" Why did congress stick the taxpayers with the bill for converter boxes, only to have them rendered useless by the greed of the Cell Phone and Broadband industry? Read early posts about this topic, and using all of the information previously posted on here should make this a somewhat easier task.

Last edited:

n2rj

Staff member
Fox's advice is on the money. I've already complained to Congressman Garrett and his office actually called me back. I've also contacted Senator Menendez. I don't know if he will do anything against it but in reality he is a strong supporter of lower income people and the latino/hispanic community, both of which heavily depend on OTA TV.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I'm working on my submission. I got a fair amount done last night. I would also recommend that folks read through the comments of the Commissioners. Their are commissioners who are sympathetic to our side. (Basically anyone other than Genachowski.) We need to speak to them and fully convince them that this is a bad idea.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Staff member
Read the commisioners profiles.. some are more likely to be sympathetic to low income citizens and less influenced by corporate money and pressure. (hint: mostly, NOT lawyers.)

MrPogi

Staff member
I'm just feeling like government could care less.
Ditto. "Your government has been brought to you today by the Blue Cross and Verizon, who encourage you to just give up, because we have more money than you."

We can't even afford to buy just one cheap, shoddy, scandal-ridden senator, much less the majority needed to accomplish anything.

Last edited: