Question: OTA tv with best on screen guide?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I have recently given up Directv for OTA and plan to use the savings to purchase a new HD TV. I own 2 small 720p TVs (venturer 15" and Sylvania 19") and 3 converters- zenith, insignia, and dtv pal. The DTVpal is the only thing with a decent program guide - the only thing I don't like is that it interuppts your show to switch to it (and NOT HD, of course!). I'm gonna miss the directv guide, is there any TVs that have great OTA reception and a great guide?

EDIT: Perhaps should be posted in the EPG, But I really do need one with a good OTA tuner!

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Mitsubishi's on-screen guide is dismal at best. I can't see any other programming on any other channels, just information on the channel I'm currently viewing. Plus, it doesn't even tell me what's on after the show I'm viewing.

JeepJeep

DTVUSA Member
My Samsung's program guide is pretty slow to bring up info and is pretty limited. Don't know how it compares to other TVs really but it's funny from some of the responses I've seen on this forum and others that none of the TV manufactures have built/programmed a solid on-screen guide. I guess they figure that only 10% or less of the public is going to watch OTA anyway so why does it matter?

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Your DTVPal probably has the best guide you can get without paying for a service like DTV or Tivo, both of which pay subcontractors to provide them with accurate, real-time program information. As JeepJeep points out, getting an HDTV won't likely improve things because most TVs share the same weakness with your current converter boxes and DTVPal: Program guides that are typically minimal and updated by the stations themselves. Your stations may, or may not, be very diligent about this task. Most use a previously written and pre-loaded program guide, so they tend to be flat-out dismal when a program runs past its allotted time, such as a live sporting event, presidential speech or when breaking news pre-empts the regular schedule. Not only that, the discrepancy can continue for hours after normal programming resumes. This isn't going to change until the FCC steps in and makes 'em do it right, I'm afraid.

MrPogi

Staff member
options?

Thanks all. Just looking at options. Nobody sets up tvs in a store with OTA, afik.

I may eventually break down and build the media PC and use TITAN TV.

But for now, I would like to know what kind of displays everyone gets.. Kind of looking for a grid or list, more than just "now showing" for the current channel, and at least whats on next.. even some of the cheap converter boxes can do that!

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
No one ever seems to mention how Sony's on-screen guide performs. It's probably the same as the others though....
It may be better than that after all: I omitted mentioning TVGOS earlier, which is offered on some Sony models as well as the DTVPal, plus some Hitachis, Mitsubishis, Pioneers and others. TV Guide on Screen is a free, third-party program guide included as part of the CBS affiliate's signal in most markets. Carriage isn't universal, though, and where an affiliate does carry it, one has to receive its signal in order to get TVGOS.

MrPogi

Staff member
I don't know if I'm getting TVGOS or the EPG info on my DTVpal, but the SLC CBS station has lousy info, but the Idaho CBS and its sub have info going out 3 days. would the guide work if there was no TVGOS signal? And do translators relay the TVGOS data? (everything here is via translator, but I do get 39 to 41 services here with my RATSHACK u-75 in the attic, but I'll have more to say about that later!)

I have a few more questions about DTVpal, so i'll take them to the converters forum. Please keep posting your info, and THANKS!

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Would the guide work if there was no TVGOS signal?
No.

And do translators relay the TVGOS data?
Can't be certain since I have no direct experience with translators. But where translators pass on the entire signal of a parent station to those who would not otherwise receive it, I'd assume that the TVGOS would be sent by the translator if TVGOS were part of the parent signal.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
No.

Can't be certain since I have no direct experience with translators. But where translators pass on the entire signal of a parent station to those who would not otherwise receive it, I'd assume that the TVGOS would be sent by the translator if TVGOS were part of the parent signal.
Don_M,
I receive my TVGOS thru a KIRO (CBS) translator.
Jim

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Was going to say Trip could probably answer the translator TVGOS question but Jim got it. :thumb: I've just never seen anyone who has received from a translator.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Don_M,

I double checked tonight to be certain and my CBS KIRO-7 (39) translator on 26, is 1080i on its primary and 480i on its' RTV sub-channel. I can also receive the KIRO translator on 47 when I have an appropriate antenna up. When the weather permits, I'll check to see if they also are splitting that space the same as their main transmitter and the 26 translator: HD primary and one SD sub. No way to measure or compare the bit rates here.

Jim

PS When I started my journey into digital TV reception, the translator on 26 at the time was transmitting with 40 watts ERP and it was one of the first I captured. (17 miles away).

MrPogi

Staff member
If you look at my tvfool info, TV Fool you'll see all I get are translators, except for 2 useless local channels, 8 and 26 (not on tvfool). I did get 20, direct from SLC, when I had my r/s u-75 pointed toward it. 73 miles! but I think that was probably a fluke.
Cache Valley utah has 2 sets of translators, Preston (18 mi N) and Logan (Mt. Pisgah, 10 mi S)and 2 local worthless LP stations, ch 8 and 26... (8 is also 10 analog) Preston also has 2nd set 31 mi N. It's really hard to figure out where I am getting signals from, I have several repeats of some channels (fox 13 shows up as many as 4 times.)
would LOVE to get ION, QUBO, CW and RETRO networks but it looks pretty bad with the mountains in th way and those networks are only on a few translators.

"The DTVpal is the only thing with a decent program guide - the only thing I don't like is that it interuppts your show to switch to it (and NOT HD, of course!). I'm gonna miss the directv guide, is there any TVs that have great OTA reception and a great guide?"

I have OTA reception and am using a DTVpal. We just have the 4.3 analog TV's. As a last resort and if you have enough signal could you bring the DTVpal in on another line to make use of the program guide?
Stan

MrPogi

Staff member
hmm theres an interesting option. If the set has pip especially nice! But I would like to put the dtv pal on another set and dump the crappy boxes.

U

Unregistered

Sony on-screen guide

No one ever seems to mention how Sony's on-screen guide performs. It's probably the same as the others though....
Sony's Bravia on-screen guide isn't very good, but it's better than nothing. It has limited characters and cuts off the show description. There is no scroll button to see the rest of the description. It doesn't show what's coming up next at all. The guide on my digital converter box provided much more information than I can get on through my Sony TV.

Anyone know about the Panasonic Viera?

MrPogi

Staff member
I'm on a Sony boycott since they yanked "other os" support from the PS3, and a bunch of other anti-consumer carp they've pulled over the years. (Nice rootkit, Sony!)