Out of Converter Boxes

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Well, this is interesting, and I'm wondering what it might mean. My sister went shopping for converter boxes today, and two of the three stores she went to were completely out. Both Office Depot and Sam's Club told her that they aren't expecting more; they aren't being shipped out to them. Both retailers said it wasn't their fault, that the boxes just aren't being shipped. Walmart only had one box available, a Magnabox, which is one of the cheapest because it just sales for $49.

Anyone know what to make of this? Seems to me like this June deadline is still unrealistic.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
There aren't enough people left who are unprepared to make large-scale production, manufacture and distribution of CECBs a worthwhile business venture. Folks who haven't prepared themselves even after more than a year of being warned have no one but themselves to blame for the added expense they may have to incur, now, to become prepared.

The June deadline is firm. There is absolutely no one in Congress or the administration who is foolish enough to suggest extending the deadline again, especially given how useless it was to extend the deadline the first time: So few people took the opportunity to become prepared in the months after the first delay. At this point, it is very clear that the vast majority of those who remain unprepared have no intention whatsoever to make themselves prepared in advance of losing service. I'm not sure if these folks are just figuring that they can save themselves some money by delaying, or they are just cynical enough to want to put themselves in a position from which they can express feigned outrage at losing service entirely being caught "unaware" of the transition. :rolleyes:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I'm not sure if these folks are just figuring that they can save themselves some money by delaying, or they are just cynical enough to want to put themselves in a position from which they can express feigned outrage at losing service entirely being caught "unaware" of the transition. :rolleyes:
:D Innocent victims. Think I work with a few of those people.

Orrymain

Wow. A lot of you are very unfeeling people. I had no intention of needing a converter box because I had cable TV. Then I was laid off, and money is tight. Now I'm faced with having to turn off the cable so I can pay the bills. I just think some of you don't have a heart. The government should have made sure there would be enough boxes for everyone through the entire transition period. If I had known I'd be laid off and in this situation, I would have gotten a box over a year ago. So, do you know when you're life will spiral downward due to things out of your control?

Heck it took a few months before the elusive Dish DTVPal+ showed up available in K-Mart here. they were out of those and a Magnavox version for most of this whole mess. they just now restocked.

solid signal .com has all you need can even use your coupon, will have it in a few days sells the dtvpal plus for 15.00 less than dish don't waste your time on the magnavox

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
The government should have made sure there would be enough boxes for everyone through the entire transition period.
I'm Sorry for any of you still having problems finding a CECB. There are still many great deals for CECBs available on the internet and you can use the $40.00 government coupon as well.

The boxes were available available throughout the entire transition, but then it was delayed for another 3 months. Since October 20, 2005 the public has been alerted of the transition. Now approximately one thousand three hundred fourteen (1314) days later and people are still complaining they didn't have enough time to get ready. How long should they wait for the transition to be complete. I don't think the attitude of most people is unfeeling. It is a feeling of confusion about those still not ready for the transition after all this time. There are many here on the DTV USA forum to assist others in getting through the transition, which I believe shows they truly care about others. Hang in there:)

Digital Transition and Public Safety Act of 2005 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow. A lot of you are very unfeeling people. I had no intention of needing a converter box because I had cable TV. Then I was laid off, and money is tight. Now I'm faced with having to turn off the cable so I can pay the bills. I just think some of you don't have a heart. The government should have made sure there would be enough boxes for everyone through the entire transition period. If I had known I'd be laid off and in this situation, I would have gotten a box over a year ago. So, do you know when you're life will spiral downward due to things out of your control?
It's not that we're unfeeling people, it's something that we as a nation committed to. Not transitioning in June means more costs for everyone, just take a look at the estimated calculations Piggie noted here: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-reception/2756-government-wants-us-pay-tv-3.html#post14835

I was laid off 5 years ago, and I can tell you that I feel your pain. There were a lot of things my family and I had to cut out including SOCCER one summer for one of my kids. Saddest part about it was my little one was completely adult about it and accepted the circumstances. We're in a much better financial situation now, but during those rough times my family and I grew closer and stronger.

Orrymain

I haven't received my coupons yet anyway, but I'll tell my sister about the online choices for her. She's not much of an internet shopper, though. She's very old school in that respect. I already warned her about the Magnavox.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I haven't received my coupons yet anyway, but I'll tell my sister about the online choices for her. She's not much of an internet shopper, though. She's very old school in that respect. I already warned her about the Magnavox.
Here's a good choice at Sears. She can phone her order in and pick it up at her local Sears. There won't be a better deal on a great CECB.

Sears - Shopping Cart

Orrymain

Sadly, no more. I just now tried it and got:

We are sorry, the following item(s) and/or quantity are no longer available for delivery. See more information below.

This item is no longer available for delivery. You can select store pick up (if available) in the shopping cart below, remove the item or see similar items.
Digital-To-Analog TV Converter
Sears Item # 05757788000 Mfr.model # DTVPAL

Thanks though!

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
They are going so fast. I checked on them a few times after I posted and they were still available on line. Now they're only available in store. I just entered my zip code and there are approximately 20 available for store pickup. You said your sister prefers store pickup. What is her Zip Code?
Sadly, no more. I just now tried it and got:

We are sorry, the following item(s) and/or quantity are no longer available for delivery. See more information below.

This item is no longer available for delivery. You can select store pick up (if available) in the shopping cart below, remove the item or see similar items.
Digital-To-Analog TV Converter
Sears Item # 05757788000 Mfr.model # DTVPAL

Thanks though!

It's hard to expect when you'll fall thrugh the cracks.

I know it's somewhat of a risk but there should be several places where a Zinwell or DTVPal can be picked up. Sure they'd sell slowly now if there was a lot of them, but these pressing economic times are catching a lot of folks off guard. There should be something to help them get through it, not strand them completely.