Outdoor Antenna for Apt???

hawtsauc3

DTVUSA Jr. Member
So i've been using some Indoor antenna's and they work, but there's a few channels i'd like that I know i could pickup with an outdoor antenna. my Apt complex has a roof antenna, but its clearly outdated as it picks up half the channels my indoor antennas do. My question is, is there an affordable space efficient outdoor antenna on the market. I'd need something that doesn't need to be permanently setup, and unfortunately i'll probably be stuck running the cables through my patio door as I can't modify the building.

n2rj

Staff member
Can you do us a favor and get us a TV Fool report?

Go to TV Fool, run the report then come back and paste the resulting URL. That way we can see what reception is like at your place.

Unfortunately with an apartment you are a bit limited. You can use a big antenna but it may take up all of your patio space.

SWHouston

Staff member
Definitely need your TVFool report ! But, you say you know what the existing Rooftop Antenna will receive ! Does that mean that you have a (in your apartment) connection to it ? Depending on how far you are from the Transmitters, and how much you want to receive, you might just buy (forfeit) a reasonably priced antenna for the Roof. Might be worth it to get FREE TV ! Also, which way does your Patio face ?

my Apt complex has a roof antenna, but its clearly outdated as it picks up half the channels my indoor antennas do.
Which half? Those old antennas did work for UHF as well as VHF, unless you're talking ... I dunno ... 60 years? Could be that you just have some old, tattered coax. Or maybe the balun is broken. Or maybe the outdoor got twisted in the wrong direction!

Rick

hawtsauc3

DTVUSA Jr. Member
TV Fool

I face East. The rooftop antenna gives me 12 channels, the indoor antennas give me approximately 28. The channels i cant seem to get good reception on are 40-63 (41.2 41.3 41.4 43.1 47 50.1 and 62.1)

TV fool seems to be a bit outdated for my area. if anyone has an Android phone and has the "tv listings" app and puts in antenna zip 55122 you'll see the channels i can get and which ones i want to have.

SWHouston

Staff member
TV Fool

I face East. The rooftop antenna gives me 12 channels, the indoor antennas give me approximately 28. The channels i cant seem to get good reception on are 40-63 (41.2 41.3 41.4 43.1 47 50.1 and 62.1)

TV fool seems to be a bit outdated for my area. if anyone has an Android phone and has the "tv listings" app and puts in antenna zip 55122 you'll see the channels i can get and which ones i want to have.
If you get a good (small) Outdoor Antenna for Channels 7-69, out on your Patio facing North, I think you'll do as well as you can. There are only four 40 and above channels in your vicinity. The CW at 41.1 is slightly West and a long way off, of (and may be inhibited by) your Apt Building, and you may not be able to receive it. That may however depend on the Antenna you choose.

Last edited:

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
Real 40/Virtual 41 is actually ION, but agreed, if you can get an antenna pointing north, you should eb able to pull in a fair few (likely all) of the majors, plus likely a few others too.

Of course the only way to know for sure is to get the gear and get hunting... :)

I face East. The rooftop antenna gives me 12 channels,
So? Did you LQQK at the rooftop antenna? Which way is it pointed? Is it a Yagi? Needs to be pointed north, obviously, but if it's a narrow beamwidth Yagi (most outdoor antennas are in my neck of the woods) it probably can't get all the stations at 10 degrees magnetic and 342 degrees magnetic at the same time.

Tell the landlord to put a 4 bay bowtie up there -- should get all 18 green and yellow stations (about 45 channels) no problem. :applause:

You might also get all 18 with an antenna on the patio, but only if the patio is on the north side of the building. If it's on the east side, you can point the antenna north and hopefully get most all the north-north-east stations (there are 12 good possibilities -- stations, not channels).

the indoor antennas give me approximately 28. The channels i cant seem to get good reception on are 40-63 (41.2 41.3 41.4 43.1 47 50.1 and 62.1)
41.x is tough indoors, because it's 1Edge, and tough outdoors, because it's 43 degrees away from your main group at 10 magnetic. You're not going to get 43.x with any antenna, with that noise margin of -30.5 dB. By channel 47, I assume you mean RF 47, since you don't put a decimal on it. RF 47 isn't going to happen with NM = -17.7 dB. 50.x and 62.x should both be doable.

It's pretty unlikely you're going to get anything below NM = -10 on the TVFR no matter what your app is telling you. :deadhorse:

Good Luck,
Rick